The application process for 2013 is closed.
The Julia M. Duckwall Professional Development Scholarship program facilitates the professional growth and development of early career institutional research professionals. Named in honor of the late Julia M. Duckwall, a prominent AIR member and board member, the scholarship is awarded in the spirit of her tireless passion for advancing the field of institutional research. Three awards will be granted in 2013 to support significant professional development activities.
Recipients may choose from one of two award options:
1. AIR Forum Registration and Pre-Forum Workshop – May 18-22, 2013 in Long Beach, California
- Prepaid Forum Registration (recipient must meet membership requirement)
- Prepaid Pre-Forum Workshop Registration (1 full-day or 2 half-day sessions)
- 1 hotel night provided in the conference hotel
2. Registration for 1 Data & Decisions® Academy course. Options include:
- Foundations of Data Management
- Longitudinal Tracking for Institutional Research
- Foundational Statistics for Decision Support
- Introduction to Learning Outcomes
- Designing IR Research
- Overview of Survey Design
To be considered for the award, applicants must meet the following criteria:
• Hold current year AIR membership
• Be currently employed in the IR field
• Have worked for 3-5 years in a campus-based IR/assessment office (full or part-time)
• Have never attended the AIR Forum
• Have never received a Data & Decisions Academy Scholarship
In addition to verifying personal, demographic, and eligibility information, the following two documents are required for a complete application:
1. Essay (maximum 750 words) addressing the impact this award is expected to have on your professional development. The essay should be written for a blind review, which means that the essay should not include information that would personally identify you or your institutional affiliation. The essay should address each of the following prompts:
I. Briefly describe your current work in IR and provide a summary review of your current skills and accomplishments in the field.
II. What outcomes do you anticipate from your participation in your selected professional development experience (state if you desire to attend the Forum/Pre-Forum or to participate in the Data and Decisions Academy)?
III. Duckwall Award recipients are expected to honor Julia Duckwall’s commitment to “giving back to the IR field.” How will you assure that others will benefit from your experiences?
2. Letter of Support from your Supervisor approving your participation in the professional development activity.
The deadline for submitting applications is February 18, 2013 (11:59 PM EDT). Notification emails will be sent by March 18. If you have questions, please contact the AIR Scholarship Team at 850-385-4155 x109 or firstname.lastname@example.org