The Julia M. Duckwall Professional Development Scholarship program facilitates the professional growth and development of early career institutional research professionals. Named in honor of the late Julia M. Duckwall, a prominent AIR member and board member, the scholarship is awarded in the spirit of her tireless passion for advancing the field of institutional research. Three awards will be granted in 2014 to support significant professional development activities.
Recipients may choose from one of two award options:
1. 2014 AIR Forum Registration and Pre/Post-Forum Workshop(s)
- Prepaid Forum Registration (recipient must meet membership requirement)
- Prepaid Pre/Post-Forum Workshop Registration (1 full-day or 2 half-day sessions)
- 1 hotel night provided in the conference hotel
2. Registration for One Data & Decisions® Academy course. Options include:
- Foundations of Data Management
- Longitudinal Tracking for Institutional Research
- Foundational Statistics for Decision Support
- Introduction to Learning Outcomes
- Designing IR Research
- Overview of Survey Design
To be considered for the award, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Hold current year AIR membership;
- Be currently employed in the IR field;
- Have worked for 3-5 years in a campus-based IR/assessment office (full or part-time);
- Have never attended the AIR Forum; and
- Have never received a Data & Decisions Academy Scholarship.
In addition to verifying personal, demographic, and eligibility information, the following two documents are required for a complete application:
1. Essay (limit 750 words) addressing the impact this award is expected to have on your professional development. The essay should be written for a blind review, which means that the essay should not include information that would personally identify you or your institutional affiliation. The essay should address each of the following prompts:
- Briefly describe your current work in IR and provide a summary review of your current skills and accomplishments in the field.
- What outcomes do you anticipate from your participation in your selected professional development experience?
- Duckwall Award recipients are expected to honor Julia Duckwall’s commitment to “giving back to the IR field.” How will you assure that others will benefit from your experiences?
2. Letter of Support from your Supervisor. The letter should be approximately one paragraph stating that he/she acknowledges that your participation at the 2014 AIR Forum will be approved as an "on-the-clock" activity.
The deadline for submitting applications is December 2, 2013 (11:59 PM EDT).
Notification emails will be sent by January 30, 2014. If you have questions, please contact the AIR Scholarship Team at 850-385-4155
x109 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rachel Krug, Director of Institutional Research, Franklin Pierce University (2013)
- Theresa Milton, Director of Institutional Research, Arizona Christian University (2013)
- Linda Wellborn, Director of Institutional Effectiveness, Accreditation Activities, Evangel University (2013)