8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
The Association for Institutional Research (AIR) and the Ohio Association for Institutional Research and Planning (OAIRP) are co-hosting 2 half-day IPEDS Workshops for IPEDS data providers and users. Funding for these workshops is provided by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Morning Session – 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
IPEDS Finance Training for IR Professionals
This workshop is designed for IR professionals who have no training in finance or accounting, and focuses on a general understanding of higher education finance with an overview of where, how, and why IPEDS Finance data are used. Topics include an introduction to higher education finance; Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) vs. Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB); key accounting concepts; a review of general purpose financial statements and how they relate to the IPEDS Finance survey; and reporting comparison challenges. Exercises provide participants with experience completing the IPEDS Finance survey and benchmarking with commonly used finance variables.
Afternoon Session – 1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
IPEDS Data and Benchmarking: Supporting Decision Making and Institutional Effectiveness
This workshop introduces the fundamentals of benchmarking as a measure of institutional effectiveness. It is designed for individuals with little to no experience in benchmarking studies. Participants use data from the IPEDS Surveys, Data Feedback Reports, and the “Use of Data” section of the NCES website to learn about the types of comparison groups that can be constructed. Exercises demonstrate
- Location: Lorain County Community College, Elyria, OH
- Includes workshop materials
- No tuition charge to participants
This workshop is limited to 45 participants. Workshop seats are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Seat confirmations are delivered via email on a rolling basis approximately 3 business days after an online seat registration is submitted. Workshop registration components:
- Contact and employment information
- IPEDS Experience
- Brief description of how the specific curriculum offered at the workshop will benefit you
- Supervisor's Contact Information (for Workshop attendance acknowledgement communication)
- Agreement to:
- Bring a MAC or PC laptop with wireless capability and Microsoft Excel
- Arrange and pay for travel and hotel as needed
- Attend the entire workshop and complete the workshop evaluation
- Notify AIR immediately if unable to attend the workshop
Note: If you have any special needs addressed by the American with Disabilities Act, please contact the IPEDS Workshop Team at 850-385-4155 x2 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.