March 30 – May 10 ($650 member/$775 nonmember)
Whether you are new to institutional research or an experienced professional, AIR’s course A Holistic Approach to Institutional Research is perfect for you. During this six-week online course, participants examine challenges and explore solutions relevant in the rapidly changing field of IR through readings, discussions, exercises, and videos. Course alumni include new and experienced IR professionals, directors, and senior institutional administrators. The diverse expertise and perspectives of the participants, paired with a curriculum that grows data and information literacy, provides an extremely rich learning experience.
Do you know Barbara?
Join Barbara, a Director of Institutional Research, as she onboards Mark, her new employee. This six-week online course follows Barbara and Mark as they consider what it means to be an institutional researcher in the current higher education landscape. You will be guided by a mentor and join a cohort of colleagues—including Mark—to engage in activities and conversation about the topics Barbara and Mark explore.
- What is a holistic approach to IR? In Week 1, Barbara provides an overview of the course and you meet your cohort colleagues through the course discussion board.
- What does it mean to be an IR professional? In Week 2, Barbara shares her perspective and encourages Mark to develop his own understanding of the field and his role as an IR professional.
- What is decision support? In Week 3, Mark learns about the art of transforming data into actionable information that’s placed in appropriate contexts for relevant audiences.
- How are data managed and governed? In Week 4, Barbara and Mark discuss data as institutional assets and examine the concepts of data quality, security, privacy, and access.
- What is research in institutional research? In Week 5, Mark learns about the nuances of research and problem solving, and bolsters his understanding of the common lines of inquiry pursued in IR.
- How does IR contribute to data-informed decision cultures? In Week 6, Barbara and Mark explore the interaction between data literacy and data capacity at the institutional level.