8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
The Association for Institutional Research (AIR) and the Rocky Mountain Association for Institutional Research (RMAIR) are co- hosting an IPEDS Workshop for IPEDS data providers and users. Funding for this workshop is provided by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Data and Benchmarking and Finance Training for IR Professionals
The Data and Benchmarking workshop introduces the fundamentals of benchmarking as a measure of institutional effectiveness. It is designed for individuals with little to no experience in benchmarking studies. Participants use data from the IPEDS Surveys, Data Feedback Reports, and the “Use of Data” section of the NCES website to learn about the types of comparison groups that can be constructed. Exercises demonstrate establishment of key performance indicators (KPIs) and identification of variables to refine comparison groups.
The Finance Training workshop is designed for IR professionals who have no training in finance or accounting, and focuses on a general understanding of higher education finance with an overview of where, how, and why IPEDS Finance data are used. Topics include an introduction to higher education finance; Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) vs. Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB); key accounting concepts; a review of general purpose financial statements and how they relate to the IPEDS Finance survey; and reporting comparison challenges. Exercises provide participants with experience completing the IPEDS Finance survey and benchmarking with commonly used finance variables.
- Location: Zermatt Conference Center, 784 Resort Dr, Midway, UT 84049
- Includes workshop materials
- No tuition charge to participants
The workshops are limited to 45 participants. Workshop seats are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Seat confirmations are delivered via email on a rolling basis approximately 3 business days after an online seat registration is submitted.
Workshop registration components:
- Contact and employment information
- IPEDS Experience
- Brief description of how the specific curriculum offered at the workshop will benefit you
- Supervisor's Contact Information (for Workshop attendance acknowledgement communication)
- Agreement to:
- Bring a MAC or PC laptop with wireless capability and Microsoft Excel
- Arrange and pay for travel and hotel as needed
- Attend the entire workshop and complete the workshop evaluation
- Notify AIR immediately if unable to attend the workshop
Note: If you have any special needs addressed by the American with Disabilities Act, please contact the IPEDS Workshop Team at 850-385-4155 x2 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.