The National Survey of IR Offices was first launched in 2015 to establish a baseline of IR office capacities and resources. The survey data are used to inform program reviews of IR offices, benchmarking initiatives, and conversations about the evolving role of IR. Relaunched in 2018, this is the most comprehensive survey of its kind.
The National Survey is framed around the following four areas of inquiry:
- How is the office structured (e.g., reporting lines, type of work produced by the office)?
- How is the office staffed (e.g., staffing roles, staff FTE, staff headcount)?
- What financial resources does the office manage (e.g., office expenses, professional development budget, staff salaries
- Who are users or clients of the office?
How to Participate
Visit our survey contacts page to confirm that we have the best contact information for your institution’s survey invitation.
Why Participate in the National Survey?
The National Survey was developed to expand our knowledge of the field of IR and to provide IR offices a resource to compare and measure their offices to others. Every participating institution strengthens the National Survey and expands our knowledge of the field. Participating institutions contribute to the knowledge of the field, and gain access to a benchmarking tool that includes:
- Reports on more than 15 metrics
- Filtering capability based on sector and Carnegie Classification
- Longitudinal data for institutions that participated in 2015
Institutions seeking expanded benchmarking against their peers may purchase premium access with these additional features:
- Customize your peer group
- Generate reports for more than 200 metrics (e.g., salary by staff type, data access, office leader)
- Filtering capability with more than 20 filters (e.g., enrollment, total staff FTE, reporting structure)
Introductory Pricing: $395/$495 member/non-member
2015 National Survey Results
- Not-for-Profit Data Summary: 2 and 4-year Comparison [PDF] pdf 155 KB
- Survey Instrument for IR Offices [PDF] pdf 168 KB
- For-Profit Data Summary [PDF] pdf 143 KB
- Survey Instrument for Institutions without an IR Office [PDF] pdf 97 KB
- Not-For-Profit Data Summary [PDF] pdf 143 KB
- Summary Report of the National Survey of IR Offices [PDF] pdf 1117 KB
For more information on the National Survey, please contact Elaine Cappellino email@example.com.