April 4 – May 15 ($650 member/$775 nonmember)
During this six-week online course, participants examine challenges and explore solutions relevant to the rapidly changing field of IR through readings, discussions, exercises, and videos. Each week, participants follow Barbara (a Director of IR) and Mark (her new employee) as they consider what it means to be an institutional researcher in the current higher education landscape.
- What is a holistic approach to IR? In week 1, we provide an overview of the course and you meet your cohort colleagues through the course discussion board.
- What does it mean to be an IR professional? In week 2, we explore the profession, including its history, where it stands today, and where it is headed, and introduce the AIR Statement of Ethical Principles and Duties and Functions of IR.
- What is decision support? In week 3, we focus our attention on the why of reporting and analysis and stress the importance of knowing your audience and identifying best practices when transforming data into information.
- How are data managed and governed? In week 4, we discuss data as institutional assets and address the importance of data quality, security, privacy, and access to ensure that institutions fully utilize data as valuable resources.
- What is research in institutional research? In week 5, we discuss what research is and is not, and highlight the important role in addressing questions, finding answers, and uncovering new lines of inquiry.
- How does IR contribute to data-informed decision cultures? In week 6, we discuss data-informed decision environments and highlight the ways in which IR professionals help foster and support them at their institutions.
Optional Face-to-Face Seminar
June 3–4, Phoenix, AZ ($200 member/nonmember)
Once you complete the online course, join your cohort for a two-day interactive seminar where we continue to consider the field of IR with a truly holistic perspective. This mentor-led experience provides deeper exploration of course topics, dynamic examination of the challenges faced by individual course participants, and establishment of networks that enhance personal and professional development.
Join Your New Colleagues
The face-to-face seminar will be held preceding the 2022 AIR Forum in Phoenix, Arizona. Holistic participants will receive 15% off AIR Forum registration or one workshop.
More details regarding hotel group rates will be provided once available.