This Assistant Provost for Special Studies & Analysis will conduct research and prepare reports on a wide range of special studies to support institutional planning and decision-making. The position will transform data into information through analysis and effective, tailored reporting to assist leadership in making strategic, data-informed decisions. Recognizing data as a critical University resource, the Assistant Provost will inform and influence the development of planning priorities, evaluation of programs and initiatives, and consideration of policy recommendations.
The position will complete studies and prepare reports on the analysis, its interpretation, and implications to leadership. The candidate will have a passion for discovering solutions hidden in large data sets, working with stakeholders to improve business outcomes, and making value out of data. He or she must have experience in research design, data collection, analysis, and interpretation and presentation of findings to leadership.
- Complete studies on topics of strategic importance to the University, working closely with senior administrator(s) to define the scope and approach for the study. Translate and contextualize findings to provide decision-support and planning information, including highlighting key findings and their implications for action.
- Lead efforts to organize an indexed, searchable, annotated inventory of existing data tables, analytical reports, dashboards, etc. to support decision-making and inform research on similar issues.
- Remain current on trends that affect higher education and develop and maintain relationships with organizations within the university and outside that are conducting education research and evaluation. Use insights from this knowledge to suggest analysis, test assumptions, and contextualize information at Princeton.
- Contribute to institutional efforts to improve data quality by identifying strategic data needs, assisting in the establishment of standards and processes for reporting and presentation of data and analysis, and developing standard and ad hoc reports.
- Work with campus partners to develop, deploy, and support University data management and governance protocols related to data access, architecture, maintenance, and oversight. Engage with data stewards and others to influence the University's current and future efforts at meta-data and data management.
- Bachelors degree in a relevant field including social science, business administration, or policy analysis.
- Prior professional experience in analytical research in higher education or industry. 5 years, preferred.
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills and a keen understanding of how research can inform decision making
- Strong experience using a variety of data mining/data analysis methods, statistical software, querying language tools, and both quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Extremely detail oriented with the ability to recognize and investigate data anomalies; exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities
- Demonstrated experience with query language and working with complex data warehouses
- Exceptional skills in interpreting and representing numeric data, manipulating data representations (graphical, tabular, etc.), and translating data into concise summary documents with key insights and implications highlighted and that can be readily understood by various audiences
- Experience creating and using advanced machine learning algorithms and statistics: regression, simulation, scenario analysis, modeling, clustering, decision trees, neural networks, etc.
Graduate degree in relevant field; experience working in higher education with some knowledge of research university structure, policies, procedures and institutional data warehouses.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW