Dakota State University is currently accepting applications for a Director of Institutional Research. This position provides support in enabling the University to meet the goals outlined in the University Strategic Plan enhancing the student experience and student success. Provides reports focused on analyzing data to promote advancement of the strategic plan and performs all necessary functions related to the collection, interpretation, and use of institutional data for planning, assessment, and decision making in support of the university’s mission and strategic initiatives. Facilitates access to information maintained in the university’s administrative/student information system to support university operations and monitor key institutional indicators, ensuring the integrity of data/information released in reports or studies, and providing data analysis, reporting, or research as needed to support institutional objectives. Disseminates forecast and trend information in a variety of formats to campus administrators and external reporting agencies.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Plans and performs institutional research activities including collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and reporting information on the characteristics of the university that support academic programs and institutional decision making.
• Works closely with appropriate university offices in research and statistical analysis that may be needed for various projects in areas such as human resources, curricula, instruction, facilities, or finance.
• Serves as resource and provides necessary support for the university’s organizational effectiveness, planning, evaluation and program assessment activities.
• Serves as liaison from the university to various authorities at the federal, state, and local levels for data reporting, research studies, or surveys.
• Prepares state, federal, and university comprehensive accountability reports and studies according to documented requirements, ensuring accuracy and timeliness. Examples include: IPEDS, Fact Book, Board data collection mandates (comparative institutions, student satisfaction survey), external surveys.
• Represents the university at state, and local level meetings, seminars, or conferences as appropriate and at professional organizations related to institutional research.
• Monitors the overall integrity of data, complying with state and federal requirements and taking appropriate steps to correct data discrepancies when noted.
• Provides support for the development of university planning systems and provides for information to assess institutional effectiveness.
• Regularly, at the discretion of the president, attends university administrative team meetings and provides guidance to leadership of the university so they can formulate policy.
• Performs other related tasks as required.
• Graduate degree in educational psychology, high education administration, math, statistics, or a related field with an emphasis on quantitative methods.
• High attention-to-detail, ability to prioritize work to ensure multiple deadlines are met and evidence of excellent report-writing skills.
• Proficiency in using statistical software such as SPSS, SAS, or comparable software.
• Experience with databases and statistical software, knowledge of statistical techniques, research methodology, data organization, and analysis; ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively and construct reports utilizing quantitative and qualitative methodologies.
• Familiarity with web survey administration software and reporting software.
• Excellent interpersonal, analytical, and communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work with data warehouse and reporting systems;
• Proficiency in the use of a range of information technology software such as SAS, SPSS, Oracle, SQL, and Microsoft Excel.
Dakota State University is located in Madison, South Dakota, in the southern lakes region of the state. The Madison area offers a healthy community, excellent schools and abundant recreational activities. Information regarding Dakota State University and its programs may be found at http://www.dsu.edu
Dakota State employees receive a comprehensive and flexible benefits package including paid time off, health and retirement benefits, and life and disability insurance options. Other benefits include reduced tuition, longevity pay and training opportunities. DSU also provides professional liability coverage.