The Data Scientists primarily supports the University Analytics & Planning Office's core activity of capturing, analyzing and interpreting data on faculty, students, staff and other critical academic, physical and financial information for university decision-making. The candidates will be able to present the salient results of research in a clear, concise and compelling fashion. Reporting directly to the Director of University Analytics & Planning, the Data Scientists will have the interest and skill to take the lead on research initiatives that answer important strategic questions for the University. This work will involve developing clear research objectives and questions, working with executives, faculty and staff across the university to collect and refine data, producing descriptive and inferential analyses, synthesizing findings in written and graphical reports, and presenting results to audiences. These positions are vital to the University’s Strategic Plan. The positions would have the following primary duties:
- Using predictive analytics and data mining to develop data models for student enrollment management, student success, financial aid modeling, and related reporting;
- Preparing user-friendly data visualizations and summaries, including dashboards, narratives, tables and graphs, and disseminating them in the forms of static reports, dynamic web tools, and/or interactive dashboards;
- Assist with data management, organization, extraction, and maintenance;
- Assiting the maintaining the University Analytics and Planning web resources.
- Bachelor’s degree in Data Analytics, Social Sciences, Statistics, or 4 year degree from an accredited college/university with significant coursework in research methods and statistical analysis
- Two or more years of applied research experience.
- Advanced technical and programming skills with statistical packages (e.g., R, SPSS, SAS); database software (e.g., SQL, Access); query/report building tools; business intelligence tools (e.g., PeopleSoft, Oracle) ; data visualization software (e.g. Tableau, PowerBI, iDashboards); and MS Office software (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Experience creating or manipulating large databases.
- Experience with student and faculty information strongly preferred
- Successful Completion of Criminal History Background Check
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the US and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
- Advanced degree in data/business analytics, data science, computer science, social sciences, statistics, or related field.
- Three years of applied research experience with analysis and report presentation experience, preferably in higher education.
- Experience integrating visualization into a web-based platform is strongly preferred.
The University of North Dakota (UND) is a busy 550-acre campus, the state’s largest. We're an innovator in energy, medicine, aviation and unmanned aircraft systems. UND is increasingly regarded as one of the top academic and research institutions in the nation. We consistently rank among the best for educational quality, affordability and career outcomes.
For more information regarding the University of North Dakota (UND), please visit our website at und.edu.
Includes single or family health care coverage (premiums paid for by the university), basic life insurance, EAP, retirement plan, tuition waiver, annual and sick leave. Optional benefits available: supplemental life, dental, vision, flexible spending account, supplemental retirement plans.