Virginia Tech is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation please contact the hiring department with any questions.
Provide leadership in using the data and analytics infrastructure in Academic Decision Support to develop strategic insights on emerging issues as well as in transforming the reporting infrastructure in the institutional research area.
Lead and direct the preparation of research studies, reports, analyses, and surveys related to academic affairs operations, dealing with enrollment trends and projections, online learning, new program development, faculty load and productivity, peer analysis, and academic and budget plan metrics. Using strategic analysis to provide insights into the university's long-term goals and strategic objectives.
Ensure that data standards, quality, and integrity in VT Data Lake, University Data Commons, budget model, and other institutional information systems and databases conform to well-established state and federal guidelines, external reporting requirements, and emerging analytical needs.
Ensure the appropriateness of data and information requests to institutional research and advise the end users and offices in the appropriate use of the data and analytics for decision support. Stay at the forefront of emerging issues in higher education research and administration by actively representing the university at conferences or meetings.
• Extensive experience in progressively leadership roles and capacity in data analytics and decision support.
• Experience in using SPSS or SAS statistical analysis programs for decision support.
• Knowledge of higher education reporting practices such as IPEDS, NSF, ASEE, ABET, SACSCOC, etc.
• A thorough understanding of national and global higher education rankings and data protocols.
• Capacity for independent and creative thinking and writing on research and statistical problems.
• Ability to work with data from multiple sources.
• Excellent analytical and quantitative skills.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Ph.D. in a related discipline.
• General knowledge of cloud-based analytics platforms.
• Knowledge of data visualization and analytics tools employed in big data platforms, such as Python, R.