To aid St. Olaf decision-makers in evidence-based planning, decision-making, and public accountability by providing technical, organizational and analytical support for institutional research and student success activities across the college. This position works in close collaboration with academic and college leadership, and directly supports the retention and student success work of the college.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Design, conduct, and report on institutional research and student success studies for topics of interest to administrative and academic decision-makers – 30% of time
- Clean, code, summarize, and analyze quantitative and qualitative data to inform the individual and collective work of decision-makers.
- Communicate institutional data, reports, and information via the Institutional Effectiveness and Assessment (IE&A) website, as well as through presentations and other electronic and/or written media.
- Assist with the collection and analysis of institutional and comparative data and information resources – 30% of time
- Analyze, summarize, and prepare reports on campus-wide surveys, selected archival institutional data, and appropriate comparative national/peer group data, including collaboration with appropriate staff on analysis and use of relevant data.
- Research, query, and prepare data from external and internal sources and databases, in response to external and internal requests for information.
- Prepare institutional data for federal and state governmental agencies, collegiate and data sharing consortiums, college guide surveys and other requests for institutional data.
- Provide support for other employees, teams, and offices that are engaged in using data to improve institutional effectiveness – 20% of time
- Work with administrators and other offices engaged in program evaluation, grant project evaluation, and other domains of data collection to provide consultation and assistance on effective data collection and analysis.
- Provide administrative support to the Institutional Review Board (IRB) – 15% of time
- Conduct initial screening of applications.
- Assign applications to IRB members for review.
- Maintain IRB records and website.
- Work with IRB Chair to deliver IRB workshops as part of the IRB’s education goal.
- General Office & Supervisory Responsibilities - 5% of time
- Provide work direction for student research assistants.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Submit credit card statements and receipts for expenditures to supervisor for approval.
- Contribute generally to the collaborative work of the IE&A office team.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s Degree AND 3+ years of work experience in learning outcomes assessment, program evaluation, applied statistical research, or related areas.
- Bachelor’s Degree AND 5+ years of work experience in learning outcomes assessment, program evaluation, applied statistical research, or related areas.
Additional Requirements: Maintain a valid driver’s license and meet St. Olaf College driver authorization criteria with a satisfactory driving record.
Education: Master’s degree in a social or behavioral science field, public policy, statistics, applied research, education, or related field; Graduate Certificate in Institutional Research
Experience: 1+ year of experience in a higher education environment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Ability to organize, analyze, summarize, interpret, and report data and information for multiple audiences
- Skill in quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Skill in completing tasks accurately and with attention to detail
- Skill in computer applications, including word processing, relational database, spreadsheet, presentation, and statistics package (e.g., SPSS) software
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- Ability to represent the office and the institution effectively to internal and external audiences through oral and written communication
- Ability to handle confidential materials discreetly and professionally
- Ability to work on multiple projects, to organize workflow, and to meet deadlines
- Skill in managing and reporting information using technology
- Ability and willingness to support, respect and commit to embracing diverse backgrounds, values and points of view to build a strong and inclusive community including faculty, staff, students and constituents