General Statement of Duties: The Director of Assessment develops and leads a comprehensive institutional assessment plan to support the University’s mission and strategic initiatives and is an integral part of the Office of Institutional Research and Planning. The Director provides expertise and assistance to faculty in making data-informed decisions through the development and implementation of effective assessment programs and activities. The Director also produces an annual assessment report and presents results to executives and other groups.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads and coordinates all assessment activities at the university, including those focused on undergraduate and graduate programs, the general education program, the honors program, the first-year experience and other campus-wide measures of institutional effectiveness.
- Strengthens and supports a culture of assessment and evidence-based practice.
- Assists faculty and academic departments with the development and utilization of assessment tools to measure student outcomes and unit effectiveness; coordinates training sessions, both on and off-site.
- Designs and implements assessment training programs, workshops and forums.
- Ensures collection and analysis of assessment data for all programs and services.
- Provides analysis, interpretation and recommendations based on assessment programs to inform strategic planning and decision-making processes at the unit and institutional level.
- Supports academic departments in the development of their annual reports; develops and maintains a system that improves annual reporting; monitors and reports on compliance.
- Coordinates with deans and department chairs on the program review and accreditation cycle; coordinates with the director of institutional research to ensure appropriate data support; monitors and reports on compliance.
- Leads and coordinates regular meetings with the academic deans to review program assessment data, annual reports and program reviews.
- Collaborates on University-wide activities related to ensuring an integrated, data-informed approach to improving Student Learning Outcomes and Student Success.
- Supports and promotes the use of the Student Success Collaborative data analytics platform.
- Supports the assessment of the University’s Strategic Plan.
- Assists the AVPAA and other academic administrators with ensuring that the NECHE assessment standards are met.
- Manages the collection and maintenance of all accreditation reports and letters.
- Supports the administration of institutional surveys (e.g. exit surveys, employment surveys, climate surveys, etc.)
- Analyzes, interprets and reports on survey findings.
- Maintains an assessment resource web page for the University.
- Represents the University at system-wide assessment meetings.
- Provides statistical and analytical support to the unit.
- Serves on various university committees related to furthering assessment efforts.
- Other duties as assigned by the Assistant Vice President.
- Master’s degree.
- In-depth knowledge of learning outcomes assessment.
- Experience managing assessment activities at an institution of higher education, including developing assessment tools and processes.
- Experience with assessment technologies.
- Experience designing and presenting workshops on assessment.
- Experience working with regional and specialized accreditation standards, reports and initiatives.
- Experience in survey research.
- Ability to create statistical reports and analyze data. Demonstrates command of statistics and advanced skills in using statistical, database and spreadsheet software preferred.
- Ability to synthesize complex issues and present them in a creative and non-technical manner.
- Ability to manage concurrent projects and to meet established timelines.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in strategic planning and assessing strategic planning preferred.