Director of Data Analysis and Research
The UNC System Office located in Chapel Hill, NC invites applications for the position of Director of Data Analysis and Research. The Director will provide data analysis and research; reporting and communication; and project management leadership. Responsibilities include: conducting studies including the use of statistical models to address higher education-related research questions; designing, conducting, documenting, and evaluating results of studies/ journal articles related to various areas of higher education; responding to specific research requests from the Senior Vice President for Strategy and Policy and other division leaders; preparing materials ranging from detailed, descriptive and graphical reports to concise summaries and talking points on complex issues for a variety of audiences at all levels of an organization, often under tight deadlines; preparing reports, visualizations, and written products for a diverse audience to include internal leadership, Board of Governors, and external reports; providing expert analysis and counsel in the review and development of data-related goals, metrics, policies, and implementation strategies to further the strategic goals of the University; and managing projects from end-to-end including annual updates to Strategic Plan metrics, research studies, surveys, and program evaluations.
Requires Master’s degree in public policy, applied statistics, data science, analytics, social science research, measurement, assessment, research methods, quantitative psychology, or related discipline and at least five years of related experience; or a PhD public policy, applied statistics, data science, analytics, social science research, measurement, assessment, research methods, quantitative psychology, or related discipline and at least three years of related experience. PhD strongly preferred.
- advanced data analysis and statistics skills and experience;
- advanced experience with data analysis software (e.g., SAS, R, SPSS, Stata- SAS experience preferred) to manage, manipulate, and analyze large datasets;
- fluent with Microsoft Office (including advanced Excel proficiency);
- knowledge of higher education both within and outside of North Carolina;
- demonstrated ability to understand and use data to make a data-driven case;
- the ability to locate and synthesize research on relevant higher education topics;
- experience with data visualization software (Tableau);
- demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple tasks, and function in a fast-paced and collaborative environment;
- have an understanding and experience with national higher education data (e.g., IPEDS, College Scorecard, etc);
- have an understanding of the limitations/tradeoffs of different quantitative methodologies, especially causal research;
- experience in institutional research and/or data and analytics work in higher education systems a plus.
The Strategy and Policy Division of the UNC System Office as directed by the Board and the President, is charged with enhancing and furthering the UNC System’s strategic goals. The team partners with the President and chancellors on system-wide strategic initiatives, is responsible for the institutional performance measurement system, and serves as a higher-education policy expert to the President, the Board of Governors, and the NC General Assembly. The Division also tracks and assesses state and national trends in higher education and their likely impact on the UNC system and proactively identifies new initiatives to support system strategies.
Application Due Date: 2019-06-28
Job Start Date: 2019-07-12
Salary: Dependent on qualifications and experience.
City: Chapel Hill
Institution: UNC System Office
Reports To: Strategy and Policy Division
Staff # Reporting to Position: 1
Reports In Office: Strategy and Policy
Search for openings in IR, effectiveness, assessment, planning, and related fields at higher education institutions in the U.S. and abroad.
View All Jobs by Posting Date Post a Job