Duties and Responsibilities
• Understand customer business needs and help define requirements for reporting solutions and design appropriate data solution; operate a variety of software packages for data management, statistical analysis, and graphics (e.g., SAS, SPSS etc.); write, interpret, and optimize complex queries working with large sets of data to extract and aggregate data from various sources (e.g., student databases, various college systems, and external agencies and institutions)
• Work closely with project managers to understand and maintain focus on their analytical needs, including identifying critical metrics and KPIs, and deliver actionable insights to relevant decision-makers
• Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets; design, develop dashboards and visualizations for internal and/or external customers in Tableau
• Proactively analyze data to answer key questions from stakeholders with an eye for what drives business performance, investigating and communicating areas for improvement in efficiency and productivity
• Create and maintain rich interactive visualizations through data interpretation and analysis integrating various reporting components from multiple data sources; follow data visualization best practices, performance tuning, create/maintain report design related templates and artifacts
• Provides user training and presentations as needed
• Develop and maintain databases by acquiring data from primary and secondary sources, and build scripts that will make our data evaluation process more flexible or scalable across data sets
• Proficient in Tableau Desktop, Tableau Server, Tableau Public, SQL, and MS Office Suite
• Knowledge of statistical analysis software (SAS), programming, database structures and data extraction
• Proven success in a collaborative, team-oriented environment
• Strong analytical, oral and written communication skills
• Ability to self-start and consistently work independently with minimum assistance
• Ability to effectively communicate technical information to non-technical customers
Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Computer Sciences, IT, or a related field, or equivalent applicable training and experience. Several years of experience as a Tableau developer. Experience working in a research environment. Experience working with end-users and translating their business needs into technical requirements.
Master’s degree is desirable; experience in a research setting with higher education data is desired; familiarity with PeopleSoft is a plus; and experience with SAS for extracting and manipulating data from relational databases and statistical analyses is also a plus.
Located close to the nation’s capital, Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA) is the largest public educational institution in Virginia and the second-largest community college in the United States, with more than 75,000 students and 2,600 faculty and staff members. NOVA is also one of the most internationally diverse colleges in the United States, with a student body consisting of individuals from more than 180 countries. As an “Achieving the Dream” leading college, NOVA is committed to student success by intending to triple the number of credentialed students by 2021. NOVA meets the educational and training needs of the region and its people with excellent and affordable courses and programs, offered by an inspired and inspiring diverse faculty and support staff. NOVA offers an opportunity to make a difference with outstanding career opportunities and competitive total rewards benefits including: health, dental and vision coverage, vacation, holiday and sick leave accrual plans, tuition assistance and training, a choice of retirement options, plus lots of opportunities to participate in multi-cultural and social events and much more! If this sounds intriguing and you’d like to be part of our students’ success, please take a closer look at what we have to offer with the position below.