- Provides qualitative and quantitative expertise on research projects by synthesizing academic literature, collecting data, conducting analysis, compiling reports, and editing for clarity and content.
- Analyzes and synthesizes research on higher education trends and innovations into usable information for USG leadership in support of decision making and problem solving. Develops briefing papers for senior staff on issues relevant to state and national policy contexts.
- Collects, analyzes, organizes, and reports data on USG institutions to internal and external constituencies.
- Serves on USG committees, task forces, and advisory councils and works with institution stakeholders to ensure that valid and reliable data inform system-level decision making.
- Carries out data governance and management work for the USG’s data holdings.
- Works with system information technology personnel to optimize and problem-solve around the submission of data from institutions and reporting of that data.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Master's degree required with substantial training in research and analysis of education, social science, or economic data with experience in higher education policy, research, and/or analysis or comparable experience in a similar field. Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel)
- Must be proficient in a statistics package such as SPSS, Stata, etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to analyze, interpret, and report data and communicate complex ideas and research findings clearly and concisely;
- Knowledge of issues and trends in higher education;
- Demonstrated ability/proficiency in the use of statistical software (e.g., SPSS, Stata) and other office software (e.g., Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, SharePoint, etc.);
- Proficient in using national databases e.g., Census data or IPEDS;
- Keen eye for detecting data discrepancies;
- Knowledge of FERPA and ethical uses of data;
- Facility with data visualization software (e.g., Tableau, Qlik) and SQL programming skills preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to learn new software and continually acquire new competencies;
- Demonstrated understanding of data management, relational databases, and data warehouses and experience with data dictionaries, metadata, and data standards;
- Excellent analytical reasoning, problem solving, and written/verbal communication skills;
- Excellent organizational skills including the ability to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks simultaneously to meet deadlines;
- Willingness and ability to provide support and service to other departments within USG, to USG campuses, and external constituencies;
- Able to handle confidential materials professionally and with discretion; and
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently.
- Experience working with state-level higher education data preferred.
- Preferred proficiency with SQL.
- Preferred proficiency with data visualization software such as Tableau, Qlik, etc.