The Data Analyst supports divisional efforts toward a data-driven environment. The Data Analyst is responsible for obtaining, validating, cleaning, and organizing data for the Academic Services Assessment and Analysis office, developing reports, and developing web-based, interactive tools to make information accessible to decision makers, with a special emphasis on undergraduate FLI (first generation/low income) student data. The Data Analyst is expected to provide technical support for associated reporting tools and resources, as well as work with a variety of applications to produce reliable, accurate, and dependable information.
- Consults with colleagues to understand the information needs of Homewood Student Affairs staff and constituents and to implement solutions to meet those needs. Thinks creatively to ensure the best use of technology.
- Works with IT to set up, maintain and document the hosting of student data on university servers.
- Gathers, curates, and manages student data which is outside of the main student information system from various sources and offices; cleans and validates it using tools such as SAS, R, Python, Tableau Prep, or Veera Construct; uploads to university servers. Keeps documentation current.
- Works with campus partners (Career Center, advisors, Center for Social Concern, and others) to help maintain a system for tracking internships, research experiences, volunteer experiences, and other so-called high impact experiences. Trains student affairs staff on the system.
- Creates and/or maintains dashboards focused on FLI students for functional users such as advisors, to showcase academic metrics, involvement in high impact experiences, and other student engagement.
- Assists with monthly reporting of FLI metrics.
- Writes advanced programs/queries in response to data requests, using SAS, R, Python, SQL, or Veera Construct.
- Supports research analyst and director by compiling data sets ready for analysis, as requested.
Bachelor’s degree in information technology, a social science, or related field required. Master's degree preferred.
Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities.
- Experience with statistical analysis.
- Promotes responsive, customer-oriented service in job responsibilities, exhibiting a commitment to anticipating, understanding, and responding actively to customer needs.
- Ability to independently analyze and resolve complex problems in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions.
- Experience with data manipulation/cleaning using tools such as SAS, R, Python, Tableau Prep, or Veera Construct.
- Experience with a general purpose programming language (Java, Python, etc.), with an ability to develop medium complexity scripts in the areas of data manipulation and web automation.
- Strong understanding of relational database concepts such as data normalization and relationship types (one-to-many, many-to-many, etc.).
- Data loading and ETL experience.
- Some experience with database modeling and design.