The Senior Associate Director of Institutional Research is responsible for coordinating the preparation and submission of most external requests for institutional data (e.g., Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS), CDS, Rankings & Guidebook publications, Quick Facts, etc.). The successful candidate must have an interest in higher education and the ability to develop an understanding of the strengths and shortcomings of common metrics for tracking institutional performance. While quantitative skills are a must, much of the work will be collecting aggregated data for reporting. The successful candidate must have the ability to review submissions for both content and accuracy—this requires a keen interest in the underlying constructs and the ability to develop a sense of whether the magnitude and/or direction of quantities/changes is reasonable and the ability to triangulate by using information from multiple sources. Excellent communication skills are also a must--relationship building is a key element to this role, which acts as the primary liaison to the community.
• Overall responsibility for managing the institutional research portion of IR&A's work.
• Serving as IR&A's primary liaison to administrative staff, faculty, and external organizations.
• Providing coordination and oversight of IR&A staff on institutional research projects
• Using multiple data sources and in collaboration with numerous offices and individuals, preparing federal, state, accreditation reporting, and internal reporting for university stakeholders (e.g., President's and Provost's offices), and guidebook and ranking reporting.
• Managing and prioritizing incoming requests to IR&A, completing general requests for data and analysis, and facilitating the completion of more complex requests.
• Engaging in quality assurance for IR&A products; reviewing and interrogating data and information for submission; developing the capacity to confirm accuracy by triangulating from multiple sources; mastering underlying reporting constructs to mastering underlying constructs judge whether the magnitude and/or direction of quantities/changes are reasonable.
• Developing and implementing efficient, reliable, and maintainable strategies for collecting, organizing, and managing institutional data for fundamental reporting (e.g., IPEDS, Common Data Set (CDS), Rankings & Guidebook publications, Quick Facts, etc.).
• Delegating administrative tasks to IR&A's administrative assistant as needed (e.g., gathering information, data entry, etc.).
To learn more about the role and apply online, please visit: https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/3401-Walnut-Street/Senior-Associate-Director_JR00074560
• Master's degree required, doctoral degree preferred, and 7 to 10 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Background and experience should emphasize quantitative skills and research methods. (e.g., Statistics, Social Science, Mathematics, etc.)
• Excellent analytical reasoning and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to produce descriptive, inferential, and predictive statistical analyses.
• Advanced proficiency in programmable statistical analysis software (Base SAS, R, SPSS syntax, STATA, etc.) SAS preferred.
• Experience with one or more data visualization software packages (e.g., Tableau, Microsoft BI, Qlik, etc.); Tableau preferred.
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America’s Best Large Employers in 2023.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.