Position Description Summary/Purpose:
The director of institutional research is primarily responsible for managing the institutional research staff. This position provides campus leadership with data collection, analysis and decision-making support. The result of these collaborative efforts includes cabinet and department dashboards, annual assessment projects, and year-end annual reports. This position also manages the development and dissemination of reports for external audiences. The director supports strategic planning, institutional accreditation, and other capacity-building projects (e.g., apply research skills to help faculty and staff complete mission-driven projects).
Essential Job Functions/Primary Responsibilities:
(The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Responsible for the collection, manipulation, analysis, and reporting of institutional data.
- Provides information of a general nature about the University and its environment through the publication of a variety of documents such as the Institutional Profile.
- Works with campus departments to correct data and process issues to ensure effective use of the student information system.
- Manages the internal institutional data request process including fulfilling requests as needed.
- Develops and administers institutional surveys and produces actionable reports.
- Supports the academic and co-curricular assessment process.
- Coordinates and responds to all State, federal and organizational data requests (e.g., IPEDS, CT-DOE).
- Aids and advises professional staff related to college program development and evaluation.
- Collaborates with Institutional Effectiveness leaders on strategic projects.
- Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the reporting supervisor.
- Conducts all work in a safe manner and all work safety practices are followed.
- Performs similar or related work as required, directed or as situation dictates.
- Continues professional development and training; keeps current with trends.
- Assists other department staff as needed to promote a team effort.
Knowledge, Ability and Skill:
- Demonstrated commitment to developing and fostering best practices and policies to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion, and build an environment in which all members of the University community are treated with respect and dignity.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Strong Excel skills (including Conditional Formatting, VLookup, Macros).
- Knowledge of experimental design and quantitative/qualitative methodologies, especially survey design. Interest in leading institutional research projects.
- A genuine commitment to customer service, collaborative problem-solving, and assisting faculty and staff to achieve the College mission and related goals
Education, Training and Experience:
- Master’s degree in social sciences, education research, statistics, business or higher education administration; doctorate preferred.
- Three to five years of experience collecting, analyzing and reporting on institutional data in a higher education environment or equivalent business experience.
- Experience with descriptive and inferential statistics, including skill using one or more statistic software programs (e.g., SPSS, SAS, STATA, R), programming (e.g., SQL and/or one of its variants) and relational databases (e.g., Colleague, Sonis).
(This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between The University of Bridgeport and employee. It is used as a guide for personnel actions and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.)
The mission of The University of Bridgeport is to promote academic excellence, personal responsibility, and commitment to service. Distinctive curricula in an international, culturally diverse supportive learning environment prepare graduates for life and leadership in an increasingly interconnected world.
Full-Time Employee Benefits:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- 401k employer match
- Employee & dependent life insurance
- Great tuition benefits for employee, spouse & dependents
- PTO program
- Flexible work schedules / work from home opportunities