To apply, submit a resume, a list of three references, and a cover letter by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to:
Danielle Taylor, Director of Research
1220 19th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036
In your e-mail application, please put ‘Research Analyst’ in the subject field. Review of credentials and interviewing will begin immediately.
NALP seeks a Research Analyst to support and administer NALP’s ongoing research activities. NALP is a Washington, D.C.-based non-profit legal educational association with a staff of 13 full-time professionals dedicated to helping our members become experts in the field and excel in their jobs which are focused on the career counseling and professional development of law students and lawyers and diversity, equity, and inclusion in law school and legal employers.
NALP’s Research Analyst is a member of the Communications Team and works directly with the Director of Research to support and administer NALP’s crucial ongoing research activities. These activities include distributing NALP surveys, responding to research-related inquiries, reviewing submitted survey data, and assisting in the development of research reports. Although NALP’s research program is by far the central focus of the position, the Research Analyst also provides general member services support as necessary.
While the Research Analyst works in close collaboration with the Director of Research and NALP’s Communications team staff members, they must also work independently in a hybrid work environment and be self-directed, handling multiple tasks and deadlines in fulfilling NALP’s research agenda. The Research Analyst is expected to maintain a high level of confidentiality with respect to association matters and with data and information collected through surveys and other databases.
How You Will Make an Impact: [Specific Duties and Responsibilities of the Position]
- Provide administrative and technical support to NALP’s research agenda — this includes but is not limited to:
- Answering questions from NALP survey respondents about content and question interpretation, and using this feedback to suggest improvements to future surveys;
- Drafting survey opening and reminder messages and promoting surveys using all appropriate NALP communication methods;
- Assisting in the development and testing of web-based surveys in platforms such as Verint and SurveyMonkey;
- Conducting data quality review and cleaning of survey submissions using SAS syntax programs and following-up with survey respondents as necessary;
- Using statistical software and/or survey platform analysis tools to create individual school reports for law schools;
- Assisting in the preparation of tables and charts for research publications;
- Reviewing draft research publications and presentations for accuracy;
- Assisting in the preparation and delivery of survey training materials and presentations; and
- Responding to ad hoc data requests.
- Respond to inquiries from NALP members and the general public about NALP research, and where possible provide references to outside resources on topics not covered by NALP research.
- Support the creation and administration of periodic surveys of members.
- Serve as a back-up resource for all association services and activities, including telephone support and staffing at conferences, as required.
Under NALP’s Workplace Location Policy this is a hybrid position that calls for the Research Analyst to work from the NALP office a minimum of 1-2 days per month in order to complete the responsibilities of the position. This hybrid role can only be performed within the US in one of the following states: Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, DC. We regret that we’re unable to consider candidates located outside of this location list for this opportunity due to our business registration status.
What will you bring to the role: [Qualifications]
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a related field.
- At least 1-2 years of related work experience.
- Expertise and comfort using Excel, particularly formula functions and data analysis tools.
- Experience with statistical programming in SAS, SPSS, STATA, R, or similar platforms is a plus. Candidate must be willing to learn SAS programming. Experience with survey software and/or data visualization tools is also a plus.
- Aptitude for numbers and ability to manipulate data with accuracy and precision.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
- Strong customer service and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with the legal industry is a plus, but is not required.
- A willingness to travel to NALP meetings and events.
NALP is an association of over 3,000 legal career professionals who advise law students, lawyers, law offices, and law schools in North America and beyond.
NALP believes in fairness, facts, and the power of a diverse community. We work every day to be the best career services, recruitment, and professional development organization in the world because we want the lawyers and law students we serve to have an ethical recruiting system, employment data they can trust, and expert advisers to guide and support them in every stage of their careers.
NALP is a leading advocate for diversity in the legal profession and an organization committed to the diversity of its membership and staff. NALP is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from members of diverse groups and persons of varied backgrounds.
Benefits include fully paid employee medical and dental insurance coverage, paid holidays, sick leave, vacation, and a retirement plan. Position is available immediately. Starting salary of $75,000 - $80,000 depending on experience.