William & Mary is seeking a Chief Data Officer (CDO) to provide strategic leadership responsible for the collection, management, storage, governance, and usage of the university’s data assets. Reporting to the Deputy Chief Information Officer (DCIO) the CDO serves as an essential member of the IT management team and key advisor to university leadership. The CDO is responsible for developing and maintaining data in a manner that promotes the routine use of analytics to inform institutional strategy and drive innovation. The CDO works directly with university administration, faculty, and staff in designing and implementing this strategy.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field with evidence of increasing responsibility and specialized expertise directly related to the position.
• Strong leadership skills with the proven ability to lead technical teams, manage projects, and develop human capital.
• Ability to identify university administrative and academic needs related to data collection, management, and distribution practices.
• Expertise in the design and construction of information architectures that enable well-integrated transactional, collaborative, and analytical systems.
• Practical understanding of master data management (MDM) systems and other data management tools.
• Solid understanding of cloud computing strategies, implementations, best practices, vendor management, and customer support.
• Superb analytical and problem-solving skills with the proven ability to solve highly complex and technical issues efficiently with a focus on achieving practical results.
• Outstanding interpersonal and collaboration skills with proven ability to partner with colleagues across an organization viewing issues from a whole institution perspective.
• Significant ability to build consensus, develop collegial relationships with a broad range of constituencies, and foster collaborative interactions.
• Understanding of institutional research function
• Supervisory experience in implementing and supporting information collection, management, and distribution solutions. Strong project management experience.
• Progressively responsible experience supporting and managing technically complex information solutions
• Demonstrated experience building and leading a technical team that fosters relationships, achieves meaningful results, and enriches the experience of the workforce.
• Experience in designing, implementing, and supporting operational data stores, data marts, data warehouses, or other data storage solutions
• Master’s degree in business, information science, data analytics or other closely related field is highly preferred.
• Expertise in master data management.
• Skills in modeling data from various source systems
• Working knowledge of Ellucian Banner and/or other higher education ERP system
• Knowledge of Salesforce CRM.
• Understanding of learning analytics and educational data mining
• Understanding of machine learning and block chain technologies
• Supervisory experience in implementing and supporting information collection, management, and distribution solutions within higher education
• Experience leading, implementing, and supporting enterprise database systems.
• Demonstrated experience working as a data architect or data scientist
• Experience using MDM, data duality, data governance, data ETL, and data integration tools
• Experience using statistical or analytical programming tools and techniques
• Experience leading an institutional research team