Main link: https://www.american.edu/hr/careers/staff-jobs.cfm
Direct link to the position: https://careers.american.edu/Staff/job/Washington-Data-Governance-Lead-%2816176%29-DC-20016/610194600/
The Data Governance Lead will support building data governance capability, promote common framework for design and operationalizing data governance processes, and ensure common interpretation of data and business definitions across multiple business units within American University. The incumbent will collaboratively drive campus partners towards identifying a single trusted set of data definitions, business definitions, and analytics catalog to ensure effective use of reporting and analytics information assets to achieve desired business outcomes. The Data Governance Lead will drive the data governance tool design and implementation to provide desired capabilities, including data catalog, business definition catalog, reporting catalog, creation, approval, and certification workflows, data governance processes adoption, and user training.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work with business units to understand their desired business outcomes and help articulating data and business definitions that support those outcomes. Ensure support and buy-in from the end users.
- Being capable to genuinely listen to others, to both lead and follow, and to create win-win interactions with all business constituents at American University.
- Perform data research and analysis by working with the business subject matter experts to understand business processes, querying the source data, identifying relationships between source data elements, and identifying business context of the data elements.
- Facilitate participation and discussions on data governance roles and responsibilities with users and key stakeholders across American University.
- Design and populate data governance framework components – data and business definition catalogs, reporting component catalogs, and approval and certification workflows.
- Drive the integration of data governance tool with other enterprise systems to ensure that all information solutions reference the same set of definitions and data lineage.
- Ensure successful delivery of the data governance framework solution by engaging in communication, planning, project management, scope prioritization, risk management, change management, testing, and validation activities with both campus business partners and OIT technical teams. Provide regular status updates to both external stakeholders and OIT leadership.
- Develop and maintain supporting documentation. Identify and implement improvement opportunities. Train users to elevate their data governance culture. Drive data governance product adoption and promote data-driven decision-making culture.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 5-8 years of relevant experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 8-10 years of relevant experience
- Working experience in a Higher Education domain.
- Excellent understanding of best practices in data governance.
- Experience with ERP.
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics CRM or Salesforce solutions.
- Practical experience with data modeling and data warehousing