Apply online at www.umkc.edu/jobs.
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. All final candidates will be required to successfully pass a Criminal Background Check prior to beginning employment.
The Office of Planning, Analysis, and Decision Support is seeking qualified applicants for a Senior Data Analyst, specifically for Data Reporting and Visual Analytics. This position will oversee data reporting (internal and external) and will ensure the integrity of the data provided. This positon will also develop and implement processes for collecting, linking, and analyzing administrative and student data from a variety of sources working with internal system subject matter experts, state and federal agencies, and other higher education institutions.
This position will lead the development of research studies to inform decision making and planning by conducting statistical analyses and preparing reports of the findings. Additionally, this position will oversee the documentation efforts for business rules/logic, ensuring the ‘why’ behind the particular analysis is captured.
Key Responsibilities for this role include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee the completion of data requests, create consistent documentation, and adherence to data management principles. Works collaboratively with the Data Systems Application Services team to ensure accuracy of data provided to the constituents through Cognos as well as data published to the web on the Planning, Analysis, and Decision Support website; use data visualization tools to present the data.
- Represent the office in university meetings, conferences, and professional organizations; attend executive level team meetings to provide leadership with interpretation of data or to design data models for assisting in identifying solutions or insight to strategic planning.
- Direct outreach efforts to campus data consumers
- Serve as a data liaison with external systems that utilize administrative data
- Survey design, administration, and analysis
- Lead the development of research studies to inform decision making and planning; conducts statistical analysis and prepares reports of the findings.
- Conceptualizes, develops, and implements analyses as needed by senior leadership of the university and various office constituencies
- Develops and implements processes for collecting, linking, and analyzing administrative / student data from a variety of sources by working with internal system subject matter experts; state and federal agencies; higher education institutions; and other organizations as appropriate.
- Keeps apprised of national, state, and educational trends / issues, communicating changes with senior leadership and taking action as appropriate. Monitors university data trends and informs senior leadership of major changes that could impact the institution’s ranking, public perception, etc.
- Prepares state, federal, and university reports and data requests, according to documented requirements ensuring accuracy and timeliness (e.g. EMSAS, MDHE)
- Ensures key metrics regarding the profile of the institution are compiled and published (i.e. university profiles or fact book)
- Serves as an authority on the availability of external data sets and their applicability to internal analysis. Works with IR officers at other UM System institutions to accomplish the goals of the System (i.e. 4-D project)
- Monitors the overall integrity of data, complying with state and federal requirements and taking appropriate steps to the correct data discrepancies when noted
- Ensures data accuracy and analysis results meet the identified purpose.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience required and 5 years of experience, preferably in data reporting.
- Master’s degree in social science, statistics, higher education or other related field with at least 3 years of experience in data. analysis, quantitative research methods or statistical analysis and 3 years of experience working in higher education is preferred.
- At least 3 years of experience in an institutional research setting at a university; experience working with complex datasets or big data.
The University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC) is the largest comprehensive, fully accredited university in the Kansas City area and the only public research university in our community. We offer more than 125 academic areas serving more than 16,000 undergraduate, graduate and professional students from all 50 states and 85+ countries. UMKC grads are everywhere! And they’ve gone on to find success throughout the Kansas City community and beyond.
UMKC has a strategic plan with five pillars: provide exceptional student learning, success and experience; become a thriving discovery enterprise; transform our community and region with impactful engagement; foster an environment of invigorating multiculturalism, globalism, diversity and inclusion; and develop a strong and resilient people, process and physical infrastructure.
We are building a community in which we support each other, learn from each other and grow together. The successful candidate will have a genuine enthusiasm for students and the university.
UMKC is proud to be one of this region’s premier institutions of higher education and our people are our most valuable asset. To deliver on our goals, we are committed to helping all UMKC Kangaroos become their best selves while striving for excellence in everything they do.
For more information about UMKC, visit umkc.edu. You can also find us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and see us on Instagram.
UMKC offers a competitive salary, affordable medical and dental plans (no waiting periods), 403(b) savings plan, and University paid long-term disability and life insurance benefits.