Duties and Responsibilities
Work collaboratively with members from the other PIE teams as well as colleges, schools and University offices to implement research projects, analyze data, assess trends and disseminate results.
- Prepare and write reports summarizing data analysis results, including detailed description of statistical methods, detailed analysis of results, and synthesis of conclusions from summary tables.
- Implement planned analysis, including data verification and data correction as necessary, using one or more systems of computer systems and statistical analysis software for the management and analysis of data.
- Develop proficiency with institutional research variables and concepts.
- Gain knowledge of student records data.
Support institutional research by conducting complex statistical studies and analyses that address issues related to institutional outcomes and effectiveness.
- Provide data and analyses essential for administrative decision-making.
- Consult on research design, statistical analysis, data manipulation, and reports of other PIE members.
- Upon direction of the supervisor, respond to various requests for institutional information. This requires working directly with the person making the request and determining needs through detailed communication.
- Implement analysis standards of documenting within syntax analytical techniques consistent with office standards.
- Develop proficiency with transforming variables and the complex logic that underlies grouping variables, organizing data, and consistently presenting findings.
Profile of an Ideal Candidate
- A Master’s degree in higher education, social sciences, or related field OR a Bachelor’s and work experience delivering equivalent expertise is necessary.
- A PhD in a similar field is preferred.
- Knowledge of research methods and statistics is necessary.
- Superior analytical skills or logical thinking is necessary.
- Problem solving skills are necessary.
- Experience with SPSS is necessary, the ability to write code in syntax is preferred.
- Strong attention to detail is necessary.
- Skill in the analysis, interpretation, and summarization of data to contribute to related project narratives and reports is necessary.
- Ability to structure problems, analyze and synthesize significant amounts of data, and outline valid conclusions and action steps is preferred.
- Ability to perform qualitative textual analysis is preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to develop concise reports that highlight critical findings is necessary.
- Ability to manipulate large datasets and merge datasets together is preferred.
- Understanding the importance of documentation is necessary.
- Experience in educational assessment, institutional research, educational research, program evaluation, applied statistics, social sciences or related field is necessary, preferably in an educational setting.
In addition to offering an energetic community that encourages learning and celebrates diversity, Vanderbilt University provides its faculty and staff with a benefits package that is comprehensive and flexible. Components for benefits-eligible employees include:
- Health insurance - Three health plan options allow you to choose the coverage that work best for you and your family. Fully benefits-eligible employees can cover themselves, eligible children and spouses. Partially benefits-eligible employees can cover themselves and their eligible children. The plans all offer preventive care as well as low-cost options for prescription drugs.
- Vision and dental insurance.
- Generous paid time off.
- Employer-paid life insurance, with the option to purchase additional supplemental coverage.
- 403(b) retirement plan with a voluntary pre-tax and/or Roth after-tax investment option. Eligible employees can also receive up to 5% in fully vested matching contributions.
- Short- and long-term disability insurance.
- Accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance.
- Subsidized on-campus child care centers.
- Tuition assistance for you, your spouse, and eligible dependent children.
- A variety of discounts and perks at local and national vendors.
- Much more!