Email Meryl Motika at email@example.com with a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references. Please make the subject line “LibreTexts Postdoc 2020” to ensure your application is included in our process.
We presently have an opportunity for a postdoctoral researcher to study online and hybrid learning. In this position, you will help us learn how diverse students interact with online learning tools including LibreTexts online textbooks, homework and quiz systems, commenting systems, and other related software. Your work will generate new discoveries and knowledge that help educators to design more effective learning experiences and improve their students’ outcomes.
Position Summary: Under supervision of the Director of the Center for Educational Effectiveness, and receiving work direction from the Associate Director for Educational Analytics and Assessment, lead research in the use of data from online textbooks, learning management systems, homework systems, and other similar sources to understand student behavior and improve learning.
- Work with programmers to ensure collection of relevant data.
- Conduct literature reviews and collaborate with education specialists and stakeholders to ensure strong theoretical foundation for the research.
- Lead or conduct data cleaning, model selection and analysis, and initial interpretation of results.
- Seek out and incorporate feedback from internal and external partners on the research.
- Communicate with stakeholders, subject matter experts, and team members regarding project deliverables, goals, and milestones.
- Produce supporting materials, work plans, strategy documents, and project status updates. Ensure accurate and appropriate documentation.
- Write up and disseminate results in scholarly conferences and peer-reviewed journals as well as in white papers and presentations intended for campus leaders and practitioners.
- Participate in recruitment, training, and mentoring of graduate and undergraduate students as relevant.
- Participate in CEE and analytics group meetings.
- Assist with grant planning and writing as needed.
- Other related activities as needed.
- Doctoral degree in social science, education, data science, or a related discipline complete or expected to be complete within 6 months.
- Programming and statistical skills including pulling data from an API, handling and cleaning messy data from multiple sources, machine learning techniques, and principles of causal inference.
- Experience in education or other social science-related research at the doctoral level.
- Oral and written communication skills to engage confidently, proactively, and professionally with individuals and groups with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives within UC Davis, the UC system, and beyond.
- Experience performing duties requiring extreme accuracy and attention to detail.
- Experience collecting and/or handling data from online sources such as learning management systems, homework systems, or other interactive websites.
- Experience developing, facilitating, and applying results of inquiry about student learning in higher education.
- Experience leading a research project from research question development through publication.
- Experience with responsibility for coordination, implementation, and follow-up of complex projects or assignments with multiple partners.
The Center for Educational Effectiveness promotes excellence in undergraduate education at UC Davis through a combination of research, teaching support, and educational analytics. We collaborate with faculty, graduate students, and instructors to implement evidence-based instructional practices and develop and explore innovative solutions that enhance learner-centered instruction.