For more information about NNPHI’s Evidence to Action portfolio: https://nnphi.org/focus-areas-service/evidence/
Due to the pace of this search, candidates are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications including a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, your resume (in Word format), and where you learned of the position should be sent to: NNPHI-DRE@nonprofitprofessionals.com. Please indicate in your cover letter your location preference (D.C. or New Orleans). In order to expedite the internal sorting and reviewing process, please type your name (Last, First) as the only contents in the subject line of your e-mail.
NNPHI is an equal opportunity employer and proudly values diversity.
Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
The National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI) works to unite public health institutes, training centers, community organizations, government agencies, health care systems, and businesses in advancing public health practice and improving population health. Mobilizing more than 40-member public health institutes with over $1.4 billion in annual funding – as well as 10 university-based regional training centers and 40 affiliates – NNPHI is a social, financial and information network, connecting more than 8,000 subject-matter experts with organizational partners across the nation. NNPHI seeks an experienced and entrepreneurial professional to serve as its next Director of Research and Evaluation (Director of R&E). The Director of R&E will lead NNPHI’s Evidence to Action (E2A) portfolio team, implementing projects within the E2A portfolio and providing research and evaluation services across additional NNPHI portfolios. This is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned public health research and evaluation leader with strong team development and portfolio management skills to lead and strengthen public health priorities and learning across a dedicated and active national network.
The Evidence to Action team at NNPHI brings key learning and evaluation resources to our members and partners. From collaboration on program design to translating, publishing, and sharing research and evaluation findings, NNPHI and its members are involved in all aspects of research projects and program monitoring and evaluation. Collectively, the work of member institutes and on-site staff supports program development, continuous quality improvement, and accountability.
The Director of Research and Evaluation will report to the President and CEO and will work closely with staff, subcontractors/sub-recipients, and partners to assure scientific integrity, rigor, and quality of all research and evaluation activities sponsored by NNPHI, in compliance with funder requirements. The Director will collaborate with staff and network leaders to develop and advance a research agenda that aligns with the organization’s mission. The new Director of Research and Evaluation will be committed to advancing public health through the dissemination of learnings derived from projects grounded in proven research and evaluation methodologies. Experience securing and managing federally funded projects is desired.
The new Director of Research and Evaluation will be committed to advancing public health through the dissemination of learnings derived from projects grounded in proven research and evaluation methodologies. Experience securing and managing federally funded projects is desired. While no one individual will embody all the qualities below, ideal candidates will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
- Doctoral degree or equivalent qualifications in public health, social sciences or health systems
- Minimum of ten years of related and progressively more responsible postgraduate experience in research, evaluation, and leadership
- Experience leading programmatic and fiscal components of large-scale research and/or evaluation projects
- Proven experience conducting various research methodologies (including both qualitative and quantitative), statistical analysis, and translation and dissemination of research and evaluation findings
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively on a team and with diverse external partners
- Demonstrated project management and organizational skills, especially with time-sensitive work
- Ability to compose reports, presentations, and written communication in an organized, logical, and concise manner
- Demonstrated budget management experience, especially with federally funded projects
- Experience with IDIQ contract mechanisms preferred
- Proven track record of successful business development yielding resources from diverse funding partners
- Passion for and experience in establishing new projects and securing new funding
- Interest in multi-sector initiatives that yield innovative solutions to improve the health of populations
- Experience in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment with a focus on metrics and data-driven decision making
- Deep creativity and an ability to leverage data and discover potential opportunities for growth and innovation
- Entrepreneurialism and flexibility, with an ability to maneuver effectively in the face of uncertainty and transition
- Success mentoring and supervising senior professional staff and managing contractors
- Experience with MS Office applications, Salesforce CRM, and financial/budgeting software
- Experience with research and evaluation software packages including statistical analysis packages (e.g., SAS, Stata, R), qualitative evaluation software, survey software (e.g., Qualtrics)
- Resolve work-related problems promptly, using good judgment in escalating important issues
Who We Are
Mobilizing more than 40-member public health institutes with over $1.4 billion in annual funding – as well as 10 university-based regional training centers, and 40 affiliates – NNPHI is a social, financial and information network, connecting more than 8,000 subject-matter experts with organizational partners across the nation.
With an expansive organizational presence (in blue) and activities across all 50 states, the national network is a go-to resource for analysis and best practices. We also provide important network connections for communities, government agencies, foundations, the health care delivery system, media, and academia.
What We Do
Created in 2001 as a forum for public health institutes, today NNPHI convenes its members and partners at the local, state, and national levels in efforts to address critical health issues. In serving our members, NNPHI provides:
- Technical assistance and training (including organizational development, quality improvement, performance management, health impact assessment, and evidence-based public health policy and practice)
- Research and program evaluation
- Stakeholder convening, facilitation, and management
- Organizational capacity building
- Program development and incubation
- Fiscal intermediary services