For best consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume as one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage by February 23, 2020. All inquiries about this position should be directed to:
Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities, women and LGBTQIA+ individuals.
Macalester College seeks to hire a Director of Institutional Research. The Director reports to the Provost and Dean of the Faculty and is responsible for managing the activities and staff of the Office of Institutional Research. The Director manages the collection and analysis of institutional and peer college data and data trends to support decision-making by the college community.
- Gather and analyze data associated with current topics of interest, such as alumni outcomes and program evaluation; provide research design and database construction guidance to campus constituents.
- Review and report on institutional data for internal uses, such as retention information; departmental course enrollments; student-faculty ratios; end of semester grade assignments; progress toward institutional goals related to equity, inclusion, and belonging; and enrollment projections.
- Work closely with the Assessment Office to coordinate and implement projects that gather useful data for other areas of campus (i.e. academic departments, alumni relations, grant seeking, etc.); share data for internal and external audiences via the IR website; gather and report on annual institutional data for external groups and governmental agencies (e.g., IPEDS, state of Minnesota, HEDS, ACM, NCAA).
- Respond to ad hoc inquiries regarding institutional data; serve as a resource to and member of the Survey Coordinating Committee, the Strategic Planning and Analysis committee, and the Student Learning Committee.
- Master's degree in relevant business or higher education-related field
- Five or more years of experience in a field related to education or institutional planning;
- Experience in managing and conducting organizational research in an academic institution or other public or private organization
- Well-developed social science research skills, statistical skills, and analytical abilities; expertise in using Excel, as well as SPSS or similar software is expected; familiarity with Ellucian Banner and Argos or similar data systems is preferred.
- Ability to interact effectively and thoughtfully with diverse groups of faculty, alumni, staff, and students. Must be able to respond and provide appropriate direction to requests for data and survey information from across campus.
- Strong understanding of higher education policies and practices
- Strong organizational and project management skills; strong problem-solving skills
- Outstanding written and interpersonal communication skills
- Clear commitment to Macalester’s mission; demonstrated desire to contribute to efforts toward equity and inclusion for all members of the campus community
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphasis on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.