Apply at this link: https://employment.ku.edu/statisticiandata-scientist/16383br
- Serves as a senior-level individual contributor, providing advanced analytical services.
- Builds and validates effective statistical and machine-learning models to provide descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analysis.
- Develops new interactive visualizations to provide insights to leaders through expert mathematical, analytical, and computational techniques.
- Translates analysis into compelling, data-informed stories that educate and empower the campus community.
- Creates visualizations, dashboards, presentations, and handouts to present conclusions and results in an intuitive format.
- Evaluates sources of information in order to determine limitations in terms of reliability or usability; evaluates the statistical methods used to obtain data in order to ensure validity, applicability, efficiency, and accuracy.
- Tests and verifies that modeled data meets quality standards.
- Coordinates with data architects, developers, and analysts to ensure integration of functionality and toolsets.
- Identifies approaches to improve accuracy and effectiveness of existing analytical models.
- Collaborates with experts across campus to get an understanding of underlying business processes, strategies, circumstances, and execution to identify business questions and analytical needs.
- Serves as a campus expert on machine learning and statistical techniques relevant to the higher education environment.
- Leads project teams using agile project management methodology, working with data stewards, data analysts, ETL developers and other SMEs to select analytical methods, design experiments, perform analytics, and interpret/present results.
- Challenges conventional approaches or uses of data, elevating campus analytical capabilities.
- Identifies opportunities and leads initiatives to enhance our current analytical capabilities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, or a related field and 5 years of experience with inferential and descriptive statistics or a Master’s degree and 3 years experience with statistics.
- Experience with machine learning algorithms and techniques such as decision tree, Bayesian, clustering, deep learning, etc.
- Three (3) years of experience utilizing programming languages such as R, SAS, Python, Java, and/or SQL.
- Excellent communication skills and attention-to-detail as evidenced by application materials.
- Master’s degree or PhD in a related field.
- Experience with data visualization toolsets such as Tableau, Oracle BI, D3, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills, both written and verbal.
- Proven ability to produce results when working independently and on a team.
- Ability to communicate findings to technical and non-technical audiences and leadership.
- Experience in a higher education environment.
The University of Kansas is especially interested in candidates who have professional experience working with a wide constituency and are conscious of diversity and equity perspectives. Women, minorities, and candidates who will contribute to the climate of diversity in the area are especially encouraged to apply.