(75%) Support the technical coordination, design and implementation of reporting and data solutions that support OPB’s short and long-term information and analysis goals:
• Facilitate Database Design Requirements gathering sessions with IDA and FABS Analysts and occasionally those Subject Matter Experts across the University that can provide insight and background on relevant data sources
• Provide recommendations and implement solutions to improve, simplify and automate Business Processes, Data Usage, Data Quality/Integrity and Data Analysis.
• Development of Extract Transform and Load (ETL) jobs to transform data from multiple platforms utilizing automation and eliminating as much manual OPB Analyst intervention as possible while maintaining data quality.
• Create and deliver artifacts including but not limited to: business work flow diagrams, concept and physical data models, Database Design/ETL Documentation, Standard Operating Procedures for keeping every OPB data source up-to-date, Column and Table Definitions, Lineage and Source to Target mappings
• Collaborate with the rest of the Data Architecture to test, validate and review their data solutions to catch mistakes, refine their work and provide helpful feedback. Quality Assurance/Validation/Optimization of ETL and resulting data structures
• Provide technical program coordination to OPB on medium and long duration projects that may span technical and non technical aspects of the work performed by OPB
(10%) Strategically own and manage smaller projects from beginning to end as the effective project manager in addition to being the expert developer on a small cross-functional team of OPB Analysts in order to generate and automate BI Portal Reports, quantitative analysis, dashboards/visualizations, data quality feedback loops/reports, and ad hoc reporting to meet the Decision Making needs of OPB; Replacing routine manual processes and reports with stored procedures, SSIS packages and SQL Server Agent Jobs
(5%) Build collaborative relationships with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) across the University to add to knowledge base and metadata repositories in the Academic and HR data domains; Bringing people together and translating their complaints/venting into actionable solutions and realistic projects; Identify opportunities for improvement and assess new technology and concepts that can add value to the University’s use of Information Resources.
(5%) Serve as a resource to the EDW and Metadata Teams in UW when OPB’s data solutions get adopted/promoted to the Enterprise level.
(5%) Perform other duties as assigned—Including, but not limited to: serving as a backup for OPB Analysts in Subject Matter Expertise, helping manage OPB’s Database Server, develop Tableau dashboards, etc.
Strategically own and manage smaller OPB projects from beginning to end as the effective project manager in addition to being the expert business analyst/developer on a small cross-functional team
Bachelor's Degree in: Management Information Systems, Data Analytics, or other information technology related field.
Equivalent experience can substitute for degree.
Four to five years of minimum work experience:
• Minimum four years combined experience as a SQL developer, data modeler or other data architecture related role is required.
• Must be able to identify problems with the current business environment and develop business process improvements with practical implementation strategies that leverage both technical and business acumen; Proven ability to conceptualize and communicate solutions to both business and IT partners, providing translation and connection between them;
• Proficiency in SQL– on the job experience with collaborative table design to support reporting, statistical analysis and ad hoc requests; Strong knowledge of data structures and ability to efficiently manipulate/query data.
• Ability to think big picture and dive deep into details; Excellent analytical, mathematical, and creative problem-solving skills, with keen attention to detail;
• Excellent listening and interpersonal skills; Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language; Highly self-motivated and directed, but with an ability to bring enthusiasm and energy to help build a collaborative team environment; Strong negotiation, facilitation and consensus building skills. Good oral and written communication skills as well as group presentation skills.
• Ability to conduct research into data quality issues and outliers without getting lost in the details
• Strong Microsoft Excel and Access skills
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
• T-SQL experience (both DDL and ETL), some familiarity with Azure a plus
• Visio (or other visual tool for producing conceptual models and business process flows)
• Knowledge or Experience supporting or using Statistical Analysis/machine learning tools (R, Python, SAS, SPSS, STATA)
• Technical program support experience helpful
• Experience working in a Higher Education context
The Data Architecture team, within the Office of Planning & Budgeting (OPB) at the University of Washington, is looking for a Business Analyst/SQL Developer to join our team. Reporting to the Manager of Data Architecture, the Data Architect and Business Systems Analyst combines the traditional roles of the Business Analyst and Database Developer, while incorporating Project Management and Business Intelligence disciplines. Most of this work will directly support the three main groups in OPB: Financial Analysis & Budget Strategy (FABS); Institutional Data & Analysis (IDA) which is the UW’s Institutional Research Office; and Policy, Planning & State Operations (PPSO)
This role will assist the Manager of Data Architecture in facilitating a transition of business practices away from customized, manual data-manipulation towards standardization, automation and simplicity with an emphasis on locating and resolving existing data quality issues and improving business processes. This is a great opportunity for someone with a few years of experience as a business analyst, database developer, data modeler or other data architecture related role. Experience in higher education is a plus. For questions regarding this position, please contact Daniel Summy (firstname.lastname@example.org). To apply to this position, please click here: Data Architect & Business Systems Analyst Posting.