Job title: Data Analyst
Job ID: 25473
Location: Tampa, FL
Department: Office of Decision Support
Apply online on Careers@USF by completing the required information and attaching your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME, PLUS ANY OTHER REQUESTED MATERIAL, MUST BE IN ONE ATTACHMENT. Only online applications are accepted for this position.
The Careers@USF Quick Guide will show you how to find jobs, create a profile, apply for open positions, and manage your applications and offers.
Applicants who are Current USF Faculty, Staff & Administration Employees
Current USF Faculty, Staff & Administration employees access Careers@USF through GEMS. By entering through GEMS, Careers@USF automatically recognizes your GEMS data. This feature means that you do not have to create a new user account to access the system or apply for positions.
To access, enter GEMS via the MyUSF portal, select "Careers," and then click "View All Jobs." For specific information on accessing Careers@USF through GEMS, review the tutorial below:
The University Performance and Survey Analytics (UPSA) unit in the USF Office of Decision Support routinely: (1) provides data to and analyzes data from organizations that are interested in higher education performance metrics, and (2) conducts survey research on the student population. Senior university leadership utilize information about USF's performance and the student experience in strategic efforts to improve USF's competitive advantage in the marketplace of higher education.
POSITION SUMMARY:The Data Analyst will contribute to the work of the University Performance & Survey Analytics Team by:
- Harvesting data from various external data sources (e.g., US News, NSF, IPEDS, etc.).
- Importing data into Microsoft SQL databases.
- Creating data tables and views in Microsoft SQL.
- Querying Microsoft SQL databases for understanding university data.
- Creating data visualizations using Business Intelligence software (e.g., Tableau, PowerBI, etc.).
- Coordinating the collection of data from various USF offices for submission to third party organizations.
- Presenting complex information to senior administrators in a non-technical manner.
- Manage data in Microsoft SQL databases.
- Develop data reports and dashboards for use by senior university leadership.
- Analyze and interpret university data.
- Coordinate the collection of data for submission to third party organizations.
- Assist in the development of special projects and ad-hoc requests.
- This position requires a Bachelor's degree in a field directly related to the research or data analysis responsibilities and a minimum of
- one year of research experience; or a Master's degree in one of the same fields. Progressively responsible work experience may
- substitute for the college on a year for year basis.
- Master's degree in data science or business intelligence related field.
- Professional experience with Tableau or other Business Intelligence software.
- Professional experience with Microsoft SQL databases.
- Professional experience with maintaining websites in ASP.Net (C#)
- Experience working in a data-oriented position in a higher education setting, preferably in an Institutional Research type of office.
- Experience with Qualtrics or other survey software.
- Experience with analyzing higher education data from various third-party sources (e.g., US News, IPEDS, etc.).
- Experience with submitting data to external organizations (e.g., US News, Common Data Set, Peterson's, etc.).
- Demonstrate critical thinking, organization, and communication skills.
- Ability to present complex information to senior administrators in a non-technical manner.
- Ability to be resourceful while working in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to collect, organize, and analyze data.
- Ability to work independently as a member of a team with varying skillsets.
The University of South Florida is a high-impact global research university dedicated to student success. Over the past 10 years, no other public university in the country has risen faster in U.S. News and World Report's national university rankings than USF. Serving more than 50,000 students on campuses in Tampa, St. Petersburg and Sarasota-Manatee, USF is designated as a Preeminent State Research University by the Florida Board of Governors, placing it in the most elite category among the state's 12 public universities. USF is a member of the American Athletic Conference.
Working at USF
With more than 16,000 employees at USF, the University of South Florida is one of the largest employers in the Tampa Bay region. At USF you will find opportunities to excel in a rich academic environment that fosters the development and advancement of our employees. We believe in creating a talented, engaged and driven workforce through on-going development and career opportunities. We also offer a first class benefit package that includes medical, dental and life insurance plans, retirement plan options, tuition program, and generous leave programs and more. To learn more about working at USF, please visit: Work Here. Learn Here. Grow Here.
Equal Employment Opportunity
USF is an equal opportunity, equal access academic institution that embraces diversity in the workplace.
In addition to being a part of a dynamic research university, the University of South Florida provides its employees the opportunity to participate in a variety of pre-tax and post-tax voluntary benefit programs and retirement plans based on the type of position held.
Some of the voluntary insurance programs include health, life, dental, vision, disability, long term care, personal accident, and many others.
All employees are required to participate in one of four retirement plans, which include a traditional pension plan, a traditional investment plan, an optional investment plan, and a FICA alternative plan. USF also provides its employees the option to save personally for retirement with tax-sheltered annuities and deferred compensation plans.
In addition to the essential benefits, USF offers many opportunities for professional development and personal enrichment.Please visit the Benefits section at Why Work at USF? for more details.