Equal Measure is partnering with Allison Kupfer Poteet, Callie Carroll, Cara Pearsall, and Yuniya Khan of NPAG on this search. To apply, please send a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, your resume (in Word format), and where you learned of the position to: EM-President@npag.com. In order to expedite the internal sorting and reviewing process, please type your name (Last, First) as the only contents in the subject line of your e-mail.
As an Equal Opportunity employer, Equal Measure is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and actively seeks individuals who can offer broader perspectives to our organizational thinking and culture.
We help our clients shift systems, policies, and practices to make communities stronger, healthier, more equitable, and more inclusive.
Equal Measure, a nationally renowned nonprofit contributing to powerful systems and social transformation across the nonprofit and philanthropic sector, invites applications and nominations for its next President. Equal Measure’s leadership across the field inspires clients and partners to take action to build capacity, advance cutting-edge trends, and identify new solutions to achieve greater community and social impact.
At this important transition point in the firm’s 32-year history, Equal Measure is exceptionally strong and vibrant, with a steady growth trajectory and a flourishing and stable mission-aligned culture and team. Following the successful tenure of Meg Long, the outgoing President, Equal Measure seeks a new leader to build on the firm’s sound strategic plan, outstanding and diverse team and board, steady financial position, and robust pipeline of business.
Through high-quality thought leadership, Equal Measure’s new President will continue and strengthen Equal Measure’s position in the field as a partner to the social and mission-driven sector. Equal Measure’s thought leadership and work will continue to address and help remove structural barriers to equality rooted in racial, ethnic, and gender inequities, and bring the firm’s voice to crucial conversations that will shape the field in the coming decade.
For a full position description, please visit: https://npag.com/current-searches-all/emp
Vision & Leadership
- Be a thought partner and field leader with 15+ years of leadership experience in the social and mission-driven sector, with experience in professional services and business development.
- Have raised the profile of an organization and cultivated partnerships with stakeholders, clients, and thought leaders to leverage their collective work.
- Recognize the interconnections of a range of content areas, including economic opportunity, cradle-to-career education, community health, nonprofit resilience, and knowledge sharing.
- Have a deep understanding of the role of research, evaluation, and strategy development to promote learning and impact for mission-driven clients. Fluency in evaluation and research methods with the ability to communicate complex methodology and facilitate learning across a wide audience are critical.
Advance Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- Have a deep personal commitment to advancing racial equity, diversity, and inclusion, and the courage to elevate sensitive conversations that recognize and address organizational and field power dynamics.
- Experience creating internal practices that support and advance equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Team Management & Culture
- Have success leading a values-driven organization.
- Be an experienced team leader and manager with the ability to move people toward a shared vision; have a proven ability to create management structures that support team processes and decision making.
- Have a deep understanding of the role of research, evaluation, and strategy development to promote learning and impact for mission-driven clients.
- Bring proven experience leading an organization or team during a time of transformative change.
Organizational Development & Financial Stewardship
- Be a seasoned organizational leader with experience leading staff in all facets of operations, from talent and budget management to strategic planning and communications; have a strong understanding of nonprofit requirements, as well as professional services and consultative functions.
- Demonstrate success identifying and leading new business development opportunities with experience building deep networks of prospective clients and partners, leading teams in drafting proposals and budgets, crafting compelling project cases, and stewarding relationships.
Board Engagement & Development
- Have successfully leveraged the strengths and assets of a multi-sectoral board to support an organization’s strategy development, network building, and fund development.
- Bring understanding of nonprofit board governance models and communication best practices and a commitment to building a diverse board and fostering dialogue across perspectives.
Style & Approach
The new President will bring a leadership approach that balances passion with pragmatism, thought leadership with humility, and rigor with flexibility. S/he/they will bring creative thinking that sees opportunities and innovations beyond the traditional solutions. Additionally, s/he/they will have the talent and curiosity to lead a team in a rigorous environment and promote a drive for excellence. Finally, s/he/they will have a highly relational and collegial style and bring significant emotional intelligence and a sense of humor to the role.
- Willingness to travel at least 25% of the work schedule.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field plus experience commensurate to an advanced degree.