To apply for this job, click here. Please search by Job Opening ID 336718.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
1. The Advanced Research and Diagnostic Laboratory (ARDL) is part of the University of Minnesota Laboratory Medicine and Pathology Department under the Medical School. ARDL is a fully accredited high-complexity clinical laboratory that serves primarily as a central laboratory for numerous research clinical trials and studies. Laboratory services include both general and specialized analytical testing, DNA and RNA isolation, specimen processing, sample repository, collection kit production, method validation and correlation services and cell cryopreservation and transformation.
2. The Research Scientist will perform a variety of molecular and biochemical procedures on biological samples. The research scientist will independently and accurately perform high complexity molecular techniques and assist in method validation and troubleshooting of technical problems.
Perform Laboratory Procedures 70%
• Perform a variety of complex, multistep, biochemical and molecular procedures on biological samples
• Perform virus inactivation procedures
• Process and inventory biological samples
• Perform RNA or DNA isolation procedures
• Operate high throughput liquid handlers
General laboratory Responsibilities 25%
• Maintain laboratory reagents and supplies including inventory, ordering, storage and disposal.
• Perform instrument maintenance and document appropriately
• Follow established biological, chemical and physical safety procedures
Regulatory Compliance 5%
• Comply with CAP, CLIA and OSHA regulatory standards
• Complete all required regulatory documentation such as safety training, training checklists and competency assessments.
• Perform and complete documentation of initial, six month and annual competency assessments within specified time intervals.
This is a temporary, six month appointment with the possibility of extension.
All required qualifications must be documented on application materials.
• BA/BS in a science related field plus at least one year of laboratory experience, or a combination of education and experience to equal 5 years.
• RNA and DNA extraction experience
• Knowledgeable in the handling of patient specimens and appropriate infection control practices.
• Must be organized and detail orientated.
• Ability to work in a fast paced, high throughput, work environment
• Experience with liquid handlers such Tecan, Hamilton or Biomex
• General laboratory experience preparing reagents, pipetting, and specimen processing
• Competitive wages, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave
• Low cost medical, dental, and pharmacy plans
• Health care and dependent daycare flexible spending accounts
• Excellent retirement plans with employer match
• Disability and employer paid life insurance
• Wellbeing program with reduced insurance premiums
• Tuition reimbursement opportunities covering 75%-100% of eligible tuition
• Student loan forgiveness opportunity
• Opportunities for growth and promotion
• Employee Assistance Program
For more information regarding benefits: https://humanresources.umn.edu/sites/humanresources.umn.edu/files/2020_tcd-fpa-75100-ben-0105-10_cs_final.pdf