- To apply for this job, click here. Please search by Job Opening ID 339213.
The Department of Surgery’s Basic & Translational Research Division seeks a motivated Research Professional 2 to start as soon as possible. Reporting to the Division Director and the managing staff, this position coordinates lab operations and provides administrative support for Research Division faculty, staff, graduate/undergraduate students, and research collaborators. The role requires independent decision-making on a daily basis and the ability to appropriately exercise discretion on when to elevate issues to faculty.
Oversees the day to day administrative operations for a busy basic science research division with several faculty; takes ownership for delivering expected results. Ensures laboratory compliance with DoS, UMN, State and Federal guidelines and regulations. Coordinates operations and maintains proper work environment conditions, keeps updated safety procedures and collaborates in keeping equipment and instruments functional. Orders supplies and lab consumables, keeps records of documents. Monitors animal protocols and proactively communicate with laboratory members. Manages the day-to-day HR administration for non-faculty, non-trainee staff. Provides pre-award and post-award support for the division.
Research Operations Management 35%
• Monitor and ensure adherence to research protocols, IRB, IACUC, IND, FDA and other state and local regulations. Assist in the timely preparation and maintenance of regulatory documents
• Assists in the organization and coordination of meetings for protocol activities including the development of protocol timelines, meeting agendas, resource materials, and oral presentations for study-related work
• Work with Principal Investigators to recruit, interview, and hire lab personnel. Coordinate lab volunteer program; work with staff and graduate students to recruit and match volunteers to specific responsibilities and projects. Orient new employees and volunteers with necessary forms and lab safety training.
• Researches and collects data, maintains databases, interprets, synthesizes, and analyzes data using scientific or statistical techniques; reports on status of research activities and submits monthly activity logs for protocol
• Leads research professional development and training initiatives aimed at faculty, residents and research staff
• Monitors lab finances and spending
• Routinely shares account reviews with Principal Investigator and co-investigators.
• Creates budgets for research contracts, grants or projects
• Coordinates grant proposals and process for internal approvals
• Provides pre-award support for the division ensuring that grant submissions and progress reports are on time and compliant with Federal, State and University policies
• Liaison with Dept of Surgery Research Support Services office to manage award set up, sub-award issuance and invoice tracking
• Orders lab supplies/services and lab equipment
• Maintains inventory of supplies.
• Assists faculty and staff with travel arrangements related to research
• Process employee reimbursements and vendor payment
• Oversee lab credit card and reconcile lab purchases
• Consults with Surgical Administrative Center Finance Office to adhere to University financial policies and procedures
• Assists faculty, staff, and graduate students in final review of scientific manuscripts and submit to peer-reviewed journals
• Coordinates scientific books edited by lab faculty
• Handles all scheduling and coordination for the team
• Coordinates conference calls and meetings with research collaborators
*Required (must be mentioned on application/resume):
- BS/BA with at least 2 years of research-related work experience OR a combination of related education and work experience totaling 6 years
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced work environment
- Demonstrated organizational and coordination skills with attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities and projects
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Highly preferred familiarity with University of Minnesota (culture, policies, financial, etc.); passion to work in academic research environment
- Ability to interact with staff, research collaborators (industry and University of Minnesota), and graduate/undergraduate students on a professional level
- Experience in financial management, budgeting, and/or grant management
- Experience with federal grant application and post-award management
- Experience in reviewing/submitting scientific manuscripts
- Familiarity with laboratory environments and basic experimental techniques
- Experience in purchasing and working with vendors
- Experience with Google docs, Google Forms, and Box
- Ability to develop and foster a collaborative, engaged, adaptable, and high trust team environment
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC)
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC), is among the largest public research universities in the country, offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional students a multitude of opportunities for study and research. Located at the heart of one of the nation's most vibrant, diverse metropolitan communities, students on the campuses in Minneapolis and St. Paul benefit from extensive partnerships with world-renowned health centers, international corporations, government agencies, and arts, nonprofit, and public service organizations.
The University of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Competitive wages, paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave
- Low cost medical, dental, and pharmacy plans
- Health care and dependent daycare flexible spending accounts
- Excellent retirement plans with employer match
- Disability and employer-paid life insurance
- Wellbeing program with reduced insurance premiums
- Tuition reimbursement opportunities covering 75%-100% of eligible tuition
- Student loan forgiveness opportunity
- Opportunities for growth and promotion
- Employee Assistance Program
For more information regarding benefits, please click here.