The Business Intelligence Architect will lead the Office of Institutional Research (OIR) in maintaining and strengthening its information technology infrastructure. This will include collaborating with other OIR team members in developing and improving ETL processes, advanced query designs, effective database management practices, and business intelligence uses.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Build, implement and maintain OIR data warehouse in Microsoft SQL Server.
- Work with reporting and business intelligence tools, specifically Tableau Server, to create and publish data sources.
- Coordinate annual efficiencies process to improve the accuracy and validity of data.
- Develop audit queries in Student and Human Resource Administration systems to improve data integrity.
- Develop a detailed knowledge of department, university, state and federal reporting requirements.
- Develop and promote data stewardship policies for the office.
- Thoroughly document all processes and procedures.
- Serve as the OIR Site Administrator for Tableau Server.
- Serve as a liaison with JMU Information Technology.
- Collaborate with others across campus to improve data-entry processes.
- Stay current with industry changes in technology such as internet and desktop-based technologies.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, or related field.
- Relevant experience with SQL, including developing and maintaining both simple and complex queries and procedures, troubleshooting issues, and managing data.
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including the ability to translate data needs from stakeholders into complete, accurate queries and datasets.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and present complex, technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively on a team—able to build and maintain good interpersonal relationships with work associates and internal and external constituencies.
- Values excellence, continuous improvement, and collaboration.
- Master’s degree and/or 2-3 years of relevant work experience is preferred.
- Experience with SQL Server Management Studio is highly preferred.
- Experience with Python, Linux, Access, and PeopleSoft is preferred.
- Experience with business intelligence software and/or data visualization software (Tableau preferred).
- Higher education experience preferred.
We are a community committed to preparing students to be educated and enlightened citizens who lead productive and meaningful lives.
To be the national model for the engaged university: engaged with ideas and the world.
Who We Are
Established in 1908, James Madison University is a comprehensive public institution offering undergraduate, masters and doctoral programs to more than 20,000 students. JMU is regarded as one of the finest regional universities in the nation and has been continuously cited in U.S. News and World Report, Changing Times and Money Magazine as an outstanding public university. Located in the heart of Virginia’s beautiful Shenandoah Valley, the city of Harrisonburg is approximately 120 miles from Washington, D.C. and Richmond, VA. Known for its livability, diversity, local food, arts and natural surroundings, this Virginia Main Street community is a great place to live and work.