Independent Conduct of Scientific Experiments (80%)
• Maintenance and treatment of cells in culture as needed.
• Care of KPC genetic or related mice in facilities.
• Establishment of genetic tumor mouse models, treatment of animals, and assessment of treatment response via viability assays, immune assays, and cytokine profiling.
• Perform mouse necropsy to analyze mouse tissues for immune cell populations, phenotypes, and underlying mechanisms.
• Processing and gradient centrifugation of peripheral blood samples.
• Processing and dissociation of fresh tissue specimens.
• Preparation and processing of single cell suspensions for multi-color flow cytometry.
• Preparation and processing of fresh tissue for immunofluorescence or histocytometry.
• Preparation and processing of single cell suspensions or fresh tissue for genetic analysis including bulk RNAseq, single cell RNAseq, and possible exome sequencing or PCR.
• Perform routine molecular biology analyses as needed.
• Evaluate the effects of therapeutics on cells, tissue samples, and in animal models as above.
• Develop and troubleshoot new techniques and assays.
• Develop new protocols and ensure they are followed precisely.
• Independently problem solve/resolve issues with scientific experiments and recommend solutions.
Laboratory Management (10%)
• Maintain laboratory safety by ensuring that the lab is compliant with appropriate safety regulations and that lab specific protocols are established and followed.
• Ensure compliance with record keeping and safety training.
• Oversee the tracking and restocking of lab supplies.
• Perform validation exercises for all aspects of reagent and supply preparation and processing.
• Other maintenance and supply duties as required.
Data Management (5%)
• Analyze, summarize, and report experimental data to Principal Investigator as well as other members of the research team as needed.
• Oversee meticulous record keeping of all experiments and projects.
• Other data management duties as required.
Literature review, R&D, and additional duties (5%)
• Review relevant research literature to facilitate job performance.
• Attendance at weekly lab meetings.
• Collaborate on the preparation of protocols, presentations, and manuscripts.
• Oversee ongoing R&D operations as time allows and as assigned by Principal Investigator.
• Other duties as required.
All required qualifications must be documented on application materials.
• Masters degree and 3 years of related experience or BA/BS and at least 4 years of experience working in a biological lab.
• Experience in immunology, molecular biology, and cell biology or related field.
• Ability to work independently in a rapidly changing scientific environment and conduct experiments independently.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Analytical skills to process complex and varied scientific problems and identify solutions.
• Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to follow directions/protocols.
• Meticulous organizational and time management skills.
• Experience with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint or similar programs for data management and presentation creation.
• Must be able to stand at a laboratory bench or hood for extended periods of time and lift up to 40 lbs.
• Must be able to work flexible hours as needed by project.
• Must be able to work on-site in a laboratory setting
• Graduate-level coursework.
• Previous experience working in a BSL2 laboratory setting.
• Prior experience with blood processing, centrifugation, and tissue dissociation.
• Prior experience with multi-color advanced flow cytometry.
• Prior experience with single-cell RNAseq.
• Prior experience with immune cell culture and basic immunoassays.
• Prior experience with tissue immunohistochemistry or histocytometry.
• Prior experience with animal studies and care using mice.
• Experience using the following equipment is preferred: fluorometer, spectrophotometer, spectrometer, centrifuge, speed-vac, microscopes, biological safety cabinet, autoclave, incubators, manual pipet, electronic pipet, digital balance, centrifuges, lab chillers and water baths, fume hoods, gas cylinders, pH meter, sonicator, flow cytometer, 7300 Real-Time PCR System, etc.
To learn more about the Department of Surgery please go to https://med.umn.edu/surgery.
The University of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Competitive wages, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave
- Low cost medical, dental, and pharmacy plans
- Health care and dependent daycare flexible spending accounts
- Excellent retirement plans with employer match
- Disability and employer-paid life insurance
- Wellbeing program with reduced insurance premiums
- Tuition reimbursement opportunities covering 75%-100% of eligible tuition
- Student loan forgiveness opportunity
- Opportunities for growth and promotion
- Employee Assistance Program
For more information regarding benefits: here