The Office of Institutional Research (OIR) at James Madison University is accepting applications for a Data Analytics Specialist (DAS). The DAS develops, maintains and improves procedures related to the production, processing and delivery of compliance and analytic reports and studies related to students and faculty/staff i.e. student enrollment, student success, student financial aid, human resources, etc.) for internal and external constituents, including: Integrated Post-Secondary Data System, State Council of Higher Education for Virginia, and others. The DAS will also assist in the design, development, and maintenance of dashboards for commonly requested and widely used student and faculty/staff data in the JMU Factbook– a web-based series of data visualizations. The person in this position will keep abreast of ongoing developments and trends in higher education, institutional research and analytics landscapes.
- Manage deadlines, collaboration, and planning necessary to respond to external data collection surveys and compliance reports (Integrated Post-Secondary Data System, State Council of Higher Education for Virginia, and others).
- Assist with data validation, documentation, and data quality reviews of new and existing dashboards and institutional datasets including, but not limited to, student financial aid and human resources data.
- Create and promote data analyses and reports to support enrollment management at the institution.
- Conduct ad hoc analytic projects, benchmarking studies, and reporting requirements as needed for enrollment management.
- Analyze and document ad hoc data requests to recommend reporting solutions, develop appropriate data tables, and assist in the creation of dashboards to support effective data distribution and decision making within the university.
- Engage with departments to understand their data needs and facilitate expanded use of dashboards to support departmental planning/reporting through outreach and response to user requests.
- Work collaboratively with clients, technical staff, and senior administration to continuously develop and improve the University’s reporting resources and processes.
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative discipline such as data science, computer information systems, business administration, psychology or a related area.
- Relevant experience in data analytics and decision support, with specific experience in database management.
- Experience using SQL for writing/developing queries and building tables in a data warehouse environment for decision support and reporting services.
- Demonstrated experience in dashboard design, development, and maintenance.
- Master’s degree in a quantitative discipline, such as Data Science, Computer Information Systems, Business Administration, Psychology or a related area.
- Relevant experience working in a higher education setting with knowledge of student related data and reporting processes.
- Experience building data analytic dashboards and visualizations using Tableau.
- Experience applying knowledge of research methodology, statistical and analytical techniques to decision support (using R, SAS, SPSS, and/or Python).
- Understanding of data modeling and data warehousing.
- Experience supporting institutional research efforts in higher education.
- Experience working with student data and related reporting processes.
- Ability to communicate, verbally and in writing, complex, technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to embrace and demonstrate the OIR values of continuous improvement, collaboration, and excellence.
We are a community committed to preparing students to be educated and enlightened citizens who lead productive and meaningful lives.
To be the national model for the engaged university: engaged with ideas and the world.
Who We Are
Established in 1908, James Madison University is a comprehensive public institution offering undergraduate, masters and doctoral programs to more than 20,000 students. JMU is regarded as one of the finest regional universities in the nation and has been continuously cited in U.S. News and World Report, Changing Times and Money Magazine as an outstanding public university. Located in the heart of Virginia’s beautiful Shenandoah Valley, the city of Harrisonburg is approximately 120 miles from Washington, D.C. and Richmond, VA. Known for its livability, diversity, local food, arts and natural surroundings, this Virginia Main Street community is a great place to live and work.