This is a grant-funded position, that is currently budgeted for 18-months from the start date.
About the Role:
Do you love to work with the numbers? Do you believe in changing lives through research? Are you someone who thrives in a team environment? Then this position is for you! This role will contribute to the production of research publications intended to build support for the postsecondary educational opportunity, by engaging a variety of audience of schools and colleges, policymakers, and students and families in evidence-based research.
How You Contribute:
- Assist in the creation of research reports by extracting data, conducting analysis, and developing output tables and data visualizations as needed.
- Play an important role in triangulating and incorporating report results with relevant external sources.
- Coordinate and effectively manage multiple research projects simultaneously in a fast-paced team environment.
- Conduct quantitative research using SAS or other command line analytic software and draft reports on key postsecondary student outcomes, using the Clearinghouse’s most comprehensive student-level data.
- Design and disseminate digital research publications in collaboration with the design, marketing, and public affairs units.
- Assist with developing new research publications or custom research by conducting literature review, data manipulation and analysis and developing data visualizations as needed.
- Demonstrate NSC’s competencies, which align with our corporate value
- Core Competencies include: Customer Focus, Optimizes Work Processes, Collaborates, Communicates Effectively, and Be Open and Authentic
- Manager will provide more detail to candidates as needed.
Position may be required to perform other duties as required. These essential functions are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
What You Bring to the Table:
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Social Sciences, Statistics, Information/Data Science, or related field.
- 2-3 years of directly related research experience including administering research projects, data cleaning and manipulations, quality assurance, validation and successfully collaborating on research projects.
- Experience with SAS programming, or experience with a similar package that is command line driven (Python, R, STATA, SPLUS), or proficiency with SPSS syntax).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Team player and proven ability to work collaboratively as well as independently without close supervision.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Live within a commutable distance of Herndon, VA.
Additional Desired Requirements:
- Master’s degree.
- Experience using Tableau or other data visualization software.
- Familiarity with national and state education data sources.
- Research project management skills with the ability to conceptualize research ideas and develop implementation plans to complete work timely.
- Interest in issues and challenges facing the higher education community.
- Experience with Large database and data warehouse and working with large SAS databases.
- Use of a computer for 8 or more hours a day.
- Use of a copy machine and telephone.
- Frequently required to sit for 7 or more hours per day in close proximity to others in an open office environment.
- Vision abilities include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Must be flexible to work after business hours and on weekends when necessary.
- Must be flexible to do out-of-town assignments and travel via car, train, or airplane, when needed for training or professional development.
Please submit a cover letter and resume when completing the application.
In addition, education leaders rely on the Clearinghouse’s unique national student data resources to better understand student pathways and outcomes in order to help students succeed.
Our research arm, the National Student Clearinghouse® Research Center™, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, works with higher education institutions, states, districts, high schools, and educational organizations to better inform practitioners and policymakers about student educational pathways and enable informed decision making.
The National Student Clearinghouse provides a robust benefit program designed to help meet the needs of each employee and their family, both now and in the future. We offer comprehensive life, medical, dental and vision insurance benefits, for employees and their qualified dependents. Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts are an option for employees to set aside pre-taxed dollars for certain qualifying expenses. We offer a very generous 401k or 401K Roth matching contribution program as well!
Work-life balance is a priority at the Clearinghouse, so we are proud to offer a competitive vacation, holiday, and paid leave program. Another perk is that employees have the option to get reimbursed for basic wholesale company and roadside assistance memberships (e.g., Costco and AAA). Employees may gain approval to grow their education and professional development through our Employee Education Assistance Program, which establishes reimbursement for qualified education expenses upon successful completion of the program. There are additional employee benefits, to find out more please request a copy of our complete benefit package!