Research and Data Analyst
University of South Carolina Upstate
The Research and Data Analyst reports directly to the Director of Institutional Research and Planning. Drawing on interpersonal, analytical and technical competences, the Research and Data Analyst works with key stakeholders, oversees data integrity, and conducts research and data analyses to support institutional planning and reporting efforts. This position will work to understand the data needs and priorities across the University and will extract, analyze, describe, visualize and interpret a variety of institutional data used internally for strategic decision making, and externally for informational and official reporting to state and federal agencies and other organizations. The Research and Data Analyst will also be responsible for leading implementation, data analysis, data visualization, and reporting of all institutional surveys, including meeting with survey stakeholders in the development of surveys and interpretation of survey data.
• Creates reports that originate from either the root database systems or from the official data warehouse using SAS programming language and/or COGNOS.
• Collaborates with the Director to optimize process flows and data streams.
• Ensures that internal and external requests for surveys/questionnaires are completed in a timely manner.
Survey Design and Implementation:
• Works with stakeholders to create questions and design surveys appropriate to the audience and needs of the unit.
• Ensures survey data needs are being met at both institutional and unit levels.
• Implements institutional and unit surveys and creates reports of survey data as needed for institutional and unit-level strategic planning.
Data Reporting and Visualization:
• Performs and oversees a variety of external, internal and ad-hoc reports.
• Maintains current knowledge of federal and state regulatory reporting requirements as well as performs analysis on how those changes may impact the university.
• Supports academic and administrative units by compiling and publishing a range of institutional and survey data on the web and/or in shared folders.
Data Analysis and Interpretation:
• Develops and implements in-depth research projects, including collecting and analyzing data, and preparing narrative reports.
• Prepares reports for special community and institutional research initiatives.
• Conducts, reports, and interprets additional statistical analyses on institutional and survey data.
• Other duties as assigned.
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, gender identity, transgender status, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.
Minimum Qualifications: Master’s degree in statistics or related field, or bachelor’s degree with 12 semester hours in mathematics/statistics and 2 years related experience. A successful background check is required.
Preferred Qualifications: Ability to use SQL, SAS or SPSS as a research tool. Understanding of higher education information system (e.g., Banner) and enterprise reporting solution (e.g., COGNOS). Experience with survey development and data visualization (e.g., Tableau) and survey implementation (e.g., Qualtrics) tools.