Serve as the Business Intelligence Manager to support the work of transformation for the Vermont State Colleges System (VSCS). Information about the scope of the VSCS’s transformation is available at https://www.vsc.edu/transformation/. The BI Manager will work in the Department of Information Technology, but also work very closely with many key stakeholders across the system, in addition to working with the Project Management Office team, supporting strategic transformation.
CHARACTERISTICS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Working closely with the Chief Information Officer, Director of Information Technology, Institutional Stakeholders, and programming staff, the BI manager will work to identify needs and manage priority BI projects including, but not limited to, the following areas:
- Identify and inventory current standard reporting requirements, including ERP generated reports, shared team reports, historic snapshots, and data used for external reporting – e.g., Source Book, IPEDS, Clearinghouse PDP.
- Identify new data needed to support strategic decision-making process and/or required transformation reporting.
- Identify and incorporate additional data sources needed to produce a comprehensive and integrated reporting environment for both strategic and operational needs – e.g., ERP, historical snapshots, operational datasets, CRMs, etc.
- Identify areas of institutionally stored databases that should be converted to centralized storage and reporting and prioritize official systems of record.
- Develop standard datasets, including supporting data cookbook documentation, that supports standard definitions and reporting needs ensuring consistency, accuracy, and single versions of the truth.
- Develop governance principles for maintenance of curated reporting environment, including report request procedures, documentation and validation, naming conventions and access permissions.
- Develop Report Verification process
- Develop Data Access request process.
- Roll out timely curated reporting environment to key stakeholders, with a focus on the user experience and long-term efficiency. Defining key performance indicators and student success metrics will be important.
- Train users on tools and support vision of migrating away from current unmanaged reporting environment.
- Prioritize education and partnership with immediate teams and the broader system community to ensure a concrete understanding and commitment to long-term data health.
- Experience with various data reporting and BI tools required and experience with an ERP system (preference: Ellucian Colleague).
The BI project manager will oversee the agile and iterative change management process related to business intelligence reporting in alignment with administrative consolidations and transformation. The position will ensure that documentation is updated with data changes and reports are revised as needed. Finally, this position will ensure that we maintain ability to perform historic reporting and meet the new reporting needs on the new combined entity (NCE). Work with NCE departments to convert disparate operational reporting needs to shared reports in new curated reporting environment will be an important outcome.
- 3-5 years of experience working in business intelligence, business analytics or institutional research.
- Expertise in one or more BI disciplines (e.g. data warehousing, data management, reporting).
- Experience with various data reporting and BI tools and experience with an ERP system (preference: Ellucian Colleague).
- Advanced knowledge of data analytics.
- SQL experience with the ability to write complex SQL statements.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and see the big picture to identify the appropriate metrics and data application.
- Evidence of the ability to manage and execute multiple projects, priorities, and schedules simultaneously.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with stakeholders at all levels.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, computer science, information systems, or related field.
- Professional work experience in a higher education environment with knowledge of institutional research, assessment and reporting.
- Experience working with a variety of project management or product development processes (plan-driven, waterfall, agile).
Vermont is our mission.
Our mission starts with “For the benefit of Vermont.” The Vermont State Colleges System is deeply rooted in the communities and regions of the state. We educate more Vermonters annually than all the other institutions of higher education in the state combined. We employ thousands of Vermonters, and our campuses and academic centers are centers of academic excellence, culture, and community.
The VSCS makes education accessible.
The Vermont State Colleges System makes it possible for all Vermonters to succeed. More than half of our students are the first in their families to go to college. Over a thousand high school students each year earn free college credit and envision themselves succeeding in college.
There is a VSCS classroom within 25 miles of every Vermonter. Our online education opportunities allow Vermonters the flexibility to achieve their educational goals no matter where they are. And our graduates love Vermont: over two-thirds of our alumni live and work in our state, benefiting Vermont every day.
The Vermont State Colleges System delivers for Vermont’s economy.
Our graduates are ready to join and build Vermont’s economy. We strive to help our students succeed in high-quality academic programs relevant to Vermont employers and Vermont communities. Through our many programs, partnerships, and initiatives, the VSCS strives to increase educational attainment, career readiness, and entrepreneurship in all orders of the state.