Apply Online https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/wvhepc
In addition to filling out the job application, qualified candidates must submit a letter of interest, a professional writing sample, and current contact information for three professional references.
DETAILS OF RELEVANT EXPERIENCE MUST BE SHOWN IN THE WORK SECTION OF YOUR APPLICATION TO RECEIVE CREDIT FOR YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Candidates may be asked to complete a performance task that demonstrates their ability to analyze a sample data set and articulate findings.
Final candidates are subject to employment and credential verification, as well as reference and background checks.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Reporting to the Senior Director of Research and Policy, the Programmer / Developer provides systems analysis and programming support for state-level data submissions, state financial aid programs and ad hoc projects. The position offers opportunities for advanced training/professional development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Works with programmers in systems and design analysis.
• Maintains and updates existing front-end (C#/.NET) code for applications comprising the agency’s Financial Aid Management (FAMS) system and institutional data file submission system, along with other internally-developed applications.
• Supports the modernization of existing applications.
• Facilitates submission, edit checking, warehousing, and reporting on postsecondary institutional data submissions to the Commission through maintenance and development of web interface systems.
• Manages data intake, matching and validation for the statewide longitudinal data system.
• Provides technical support to users.
• Develops and maintains technical documentation for existing and future applications.
• Ensures implementation of appropriate data security and role-based data access protocols.
• Maintains currency of knowledge and skills relating to duties and responsibilities.
• Works collaboratively with other programmers in the division to develop standards and specifications for new and existing applications and contributes to a shared code repository.
• Other duties as assigned.
A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field and two years of related work experience are required.
However, an Associate's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field and four years of related work experience may be considered.
Experience with database programming via standard SQL or Oracle SQL+ and PL/SQL is preferred.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
Ability to complete diverse tasks ranging from long-term, multi-stage development projects to fast-paced data requests accurately and on time.
Ability to complete time-sensitive projects while adhering to prescribed deadlines.
Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and ability to learn new data analysis, visualization and reporting software. Strong problem-solving skills.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal acumen, and the ability to work collaboratively and productively in a team environment.
The ability to work with users to understand their needs and translate those into application features. Must be highly organized and detail oriented.
About the Higher Education Policy Commission
The Commission develops and oversees a public policy agenda for West Virginia’s four-year colleges and universities. Comprised of a 10 member Board, the Commission works with institutions on accomplishing their missions and carrying out state procedures. A source of support for institutions and students, the Commission’s work includes academic affairs, administrative services, finance and facilities, financial aid, health sciences, human resources, legal services, research and analysis, science and research, and student affairs.
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Legal Services
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health Savings Account
- 401(a) Retirement Account with 6% Employer Matching Contribution
- Voluntary Supplemental Retirement Accounts
- Vacation Days
- Sick Days
- Paid Holidays