The Office of Institutional Research and Assessment (OIRA) is seeking a Senior Data Analyst (SDA). Reporting to the Director of Institutional Research & Assessment, the SDA’s primary role is to design and refine data models that help answer pertinent questions and generate actionable insights about institutional operations. More specifically, the SDA will help lead the development of data and statistical models and the deployment of interactive dashboards that help university leaders answer strategic and operational questions and track key metrics over time.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will provide expertise and work in the areas of decision support, applied research and analytics, data storytelling and communication, and data management and operational excellence – with primary responsibilities that include (but are not limited to):
- Create or refine institutional data models and analyses to inform deliberations of university leadership on key decisions.
- Work with academic (and other campus) leaders to better understand their ongoing data/analytics needs.
Applied Research and Analytics
- Gather and analyze institutional and external data using various software tools, including spreadsheets, relational databases, statistical packages, and data visualization tools.
- Create and maintain interactive dashboards that track key metrics.
Data Storytelling and Communication
- Visualize and interpret complex data to enable productive discussions and effective decision-making.
- Communicate insights effectively with administrators, faculty, staff, stakeholders and constituents.
Data Management and Operational Excellence
- Develop innovative and efficient ways to acquire and manage data, improve analyses, and streamline reporting.
- Refine and automate, where possible, current reporting processes and routine office projects in OIRA.
- Bachelor's degree or higher.
- 5 - 7 years experience in applied research and/or data analytics.
- Equivalence of education and experience will be considered.
- Proficient in MS Office; Advanced Proficiency in Excel.
- Proficient in use of statistical packages (e.g., SPSS, Stata, R) and business intelligence tools (e.g., Tableau, PowerBI)
- Proficient in programming languages (e.g., Python)
- Proven analytical, problem-solving and research abilities.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Proven ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Strong service orientation.
Butler University is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are
committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees. We
welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, gender, gender identity,
sex, race, religion, color, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation,
national origin, or any other legally protected category.
We seek candidates whose previous work and life experiences prepare them to
contribute to our commitment to engagement and inclusion of culturally diverse
students, faculty and staff. Successful candidates will have a demonstrated
commitment to promoting diversity, inclusion and intercultural development in a
work environment and be eager to contribute to inclusion efforts on campus.
Located in Indianapolis, Indiana, Butler University is a nationally recognized university with six academic colleges: Arts, Business, Communication, Education, Liberal Arts and Sciences, and Pharmacy and Health Sciences. We’re known for providing small classes, opportunities to engage directly with faculty, and real-world experience through internships, co-ops, research with faculty mentors, performances, and community engagement offerings. These opportunities give our students the knowledge and skills they need to excel after college—both in the workforce and in life. Butler students have had significant success after graduation, as demonstrated by the University’s 98 percent placement rate within six months of graduation.
In their 2022 report, Butler was ranked the No. 1 Regional University in the Midwest by U.S. News and World Report, No. 1 Most Innovative School, No. 1 for Undergraduate Teaching, and received national rankings for first-year experience and study abroad opportunities.