About the Role:
Do you believe in changing lives through research? Is data-driven storytelling your talent? Are you someone who thrives in a team environment?
As a member of the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center, this role will support the development of research publications to advance the postsecondary educational opportunity and attainment, by engaging a variety of audience of schools and colleges, policymakers, and students and families in evidence-based research.
How You Contribute:
- Demonstrate NSC’s competencies, which align with our corporate value Manager will provide more detail to candidates as needed.
- Core Competencies include: Customer Focus, Optimizes Work Processes, Collaborates, Communicates Effectively, and Be Open and Authentic
- Support the development and refinement of the Research Center’s quantitative research publications by manipulating large-scale data, conducting analysis, and creating data-driven storytelling with data visualizations.
- Develop and communicate data insights and research findings appropriately to diverse audiences.
- Triangulate and validate research results with relevant external sources of data.
- Use data visualization tools including dashboards and presentation formats to help others understand and utilize Clearinghouse data.
Optimizes Work Processes:
- Effectively manage multiple research projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment.
- Perform and manage quality control checks to ensure tasks are completed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Optimize data visualization tools including data dashboards and publication formats.
- Provide timely communication, coordination, and collaboration on overlapping projects and deadlines and across departments, especially with the communications and marketing units.
- Make recommendations and assist teams to identify issues that require further study and analysis.
- Analyze key postsecondary student outcomes using the Clearinghouse data and effectively communicate the insights from data through objective and impactful narrative and data visualization.
Be Open and Authentic:
- Demonstrate openness to new perspectives and ideas.
- Build trust with internal and external stakeholders by demonstrating consistency between words and actions.
Position may be required to perform other duties as required. These essential functions are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
What You Bring to the Table:
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Information/Data Science, Social Sciences, Statistics, or related field.
- 2-3 years of directly related experience in conducting quantitative research projects, including manipulating, and analyzing large-scale data, administering quality control checks, and writing research findings.
- Experience with SAS programming or other command line driven programming (Python, R, STATA, SPLUS, or SPSS Syntax).
- Familiarity with Tableau or other data visualization software.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and the demonstrated ability to communicate technical terms to a diverse audience.
- Excellent attention to detail, time management and analytical skills.
- Team player and the demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively on a team.
- Demonstrates the Clearinghouse’s core competencies: customer focus, optimizes work processes, communicates effectively, collaborates, and is open and authentic.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and other collaboration tools.
- Live within a commutable distance of Herndon, VA.
Additional Desired Requirements:
- Master’s degree and/or professional experience in conducting quantitative research that focus on postsecondary education access and success.
- Experience with large database, data warehouse and working with large SAS databases.
- Familiarity with national and state data sources in secondary and postsecondary education.
- Strong research planning and project management skills with the demonstrated ability to conceptualize research ideas and develop implementation plans to complete work timely.
- Use of a computer for 8 or more hours a day.
- Use of a copy machine and telephone.
- Frequently required to sit for 7 or more hours per day in close proximity to others in an open office environment.
- Occasionally required to use hands and fingers to operate, handle, and reach.
- Vision abilities include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Travel via car, train, or airplane, when needed for training or professional development (up to10%).
Please submit a cover letter and resume when completing the application.
Founded in 1993 by the higher education community, the National Student Clearinghouse® relieves the administrative burdens and costs related to student data reporting and exchange. We are a nonprofit and nongovernmental organization and the leading provider of educational reporting, data exchange, verification, and research services. Our work — performed in a trusted, secure, and private environment — provides numerous time- and cost-saving benefits to students, schools, administrators, and requestors.
In addition, education leaders rely on the Clearinghouse’s unique national student data resources to better understand student pathways and outcomes in order to help students succeed.
Our research arm, the National Student Clearinghouse® Research Center™, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, works with higher education institutions, states, districts, high schools, and educational organizations to better inform practitioners and policymakers about student educational pathways and enable informed decision making.
- 401K with generous company matching
- Vacation, holiday, and paid time off program
- Other Memberships
- Professional Development
- Employee Recognition
- And much more