Applications must include the following in a PDF format:
- Letter of interest
- Resume with current mailing address
For best consideration, please submit application materials by October 29, 2021.
The University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
As a member of the Decision Support team, the Decision Support Systems Manager primarily supports the implementation and enhancement of administrative and business intelligence systems owned by the Office of Institutional Research, Planning and Assessment (IRPA). The position will serve as the product manager of one or more systems, including: development and clarification of user requirements; data management, extraction, manipulation, analysis and visualization; and user support and training. Depending on the skills of the incumbent, the position will be responsible for applications including but not limited to SAS Office Analytics (including SAS Enterprise Guide), SAS Visual Analytics, and Tableau. The position also will encourage system adoption and success by developing and implementing user support strategies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- PRODUCT OWNERSHIP, MANAGEMENT AND SUPPORT: With direction from the Assistant Director, serve as the “product owner” of one or more systems including one or more of the following depending on the incumbent: SAS Enterprise Guide, SAS Office Analytics, SAS Visual Analytics, and Tableau. Provide support for other decision support systems, for which they are not the Product Manager/Owner. Manage business processes, administer day-to-day operations, and respond to users' questions and concerns. Collaborate with IT colleagues, vendors, and contractors to communicate priorities and support system enhancement and upgrade efforts. Develop and maintain documentation of how systems are used to accomplish business processes, as well as training resources and other user support materials. Support communities of practice that encourage sharing of knowledge and best practices among users.
- APPLICATION ADMINISTRATION AND TESTING: Design, implement, and test application configuration and upgrade plans (including content management, data integration, and authorization) to achieve desired business goals. Maintain subject matter expertise about application and/or server configuration options. Plan and execute functional testing, coordinating efforts among multiple testers as needed. Track testing status and identified issues, and coordinate efforts to work toward their resolution.
- BUSINESS ANALYSIS: Perform business analysis to support the implementation and enhancement of administrative and business intelligence systems, including but not limited to problem identification, requirement identification, and solution design. Use business analysis techniques to support users in best practices for report design and deployment. Facilitate formal and informal discussions with stakeholders to accomplish these tasks. Synthesize information into appropriate analysis deliverables, such as style guides, templates, business process diagrams and user stories.
- DATA INTEGRATION SUPPORT: Analyze and document data integration points between administrative systems. Identify data access, transformation, and storage strategies that best meet user security and performance requirements. Interpret SQL scripts and propose changes that support system enhancements. Trace and document data migration paths and data transformation steps. Prepare functional and technical data element definitions.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least two years full-time (or equivalent part-time) experience implementing software, managing or maintaining software systems, or managing data integration. (Experience in business analysis - formal or informal - in an educational setting can be substituted for one year of experience.) Related experience in government or industry is acceptable.
- Excellent solution design skills in at least one of the following: visual presentation of information, business process improvement, or business intelligence solution deployment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, attention to detail, and an ability to work in team and group environments are essential.
- Must be able to facilitate and manage group discussions.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical thinking capabilities are critical.
- Must have effective time management skills with an ability to consistently deliver high-quality work amidst multiple or changing priorities.
- Active and ongoing eligibility to work in the United States (U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residency). Visa sponsorship is not offered for this position.
The following are preferred:
- Experience with query-based reporting tools, SAS, or Tableau.
- Experience with higher education institutional data.
- Experience administering enterprise BI applications (preferably SAS applications or Tableau Server).
- Working understanding of SQL from writing or editing code.
- Master's degree in Information Management or related/similar field.
- Experience designing user support and training materials.
Pay band starts at $72K, and salary will be determined by relevant experience and qualifications. Excellent leave, medical coverage, retirement, and tuition-remission benefits. Members of this office work in-person from an on-campus location. The position is available immediately.