The Senior Business Intelligence Analyst is primarily responsible for shaping the IR Office’s analytics strategy and supporting the development and deployment of the college’s institutional research infrastructure. This position serves as a key resource for generating research questions, conducting sophisticated analyses, and providing strategic analysis and data-informed recommendations to multiple campus audiences, organizational committees, and teams. The Sr. Business Intelligence Analyst is an independent problem solver and excellent communicator who can render often complex results clearly and concisely. This position may require working on occasional weekends and evenings.
- Gather and interpret data needs from users, translate requirements using appropriate reporting and data use standards, and document final requirements in a manner that is clear to users, provides an internal record, and fosters user understanding of data policies.
- Apply SQL and related programming skills to extract data, combine a large complex data sets; document data location, analyze, and report institutional data and other information to stakeholders.
- Design data models that can be utilized efficiently as source data for external and internal reports, preferably in Microsoft PowerBI.
- Steward the maintenance and development projects for the college’s enterprise data warehouse, working with its external development and support entity to ensure its ability to meet the college’s information needs.
- Ensure configuration of analytics tools to provide timely, accurate information and reports to senior leaders, supervisors and other end users.
- Oversee the daily tasks associated with enhancing the functionality of the business intelligence environment including designing and deploying dashboards and reports supporting institutional effectiveness, identifying new data sources and database objects, and planning and providing self-service models to meet user needs.
- Manage assurance processes for data quality, and fix and prevent issues with data in order to maximize efficiency.
- Develop specialized knowledge of internal business processes and procedures for the purpose of supporting the college’s business intelligence environment.
- Provide expert advice for defining and documenting standards for data management practices and for assuring adherence to strict data definitions for the institution.
- Communicate with internal managers and developers, as well as product managers and technical support specialists, on application and/or product issues.
- Support the Executive Director of Institutional Research and Planning in setting vision, planning projects, updating project status, and recommending project priority relative to ICC’s business intelligence environment. Serve as a liaison between Enterprise Services and Institutional Research.
- Perform related duties as required.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Data Science, Management Information Systems, or a related field.
- 3 years of data and/or business analytics experience, including, but not limited to, data modeling, data analysis, data mining, longitudinal analysis, reporting, and visualization methods.
- 3 years of query-writing experience with MS SQL Server Management Studio or in a similar environment.
- 2 years of experience with data visualization tools (Power BI, Tableau, Pyramid, Excel, etc.)
- Knowledge of data warehouse structure and management.
- Experience with management and conceptualization of relational databases.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analyzing and problem-solving skills.
- Strong organizing and prioritizing skills to meet critical deadlines.
- Strong multi-tasking and decision-making skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish and maintain cooperative and professional working relationships with others.
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Information systems, Data Science, Management Information Systems, or a related field.
- Experience with higher education business processes, ideally within institutional research.
- Experience with higher education student information systems (ERPs), particularly PeopleSoft.
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services.
- 3 or more year of experience with data visualization tools (Power BI, Tableau, Pyramid, Excel, etc.)
- Expert level experience with Microsoft Office products, specifically Excel and Access.
Illinois Central College (ICC) was founded in 1966 as a public, not-for-profit, comprehensive two-year community college serving all or parts of ten Central Illinois counties. ICC is the 7th largest among Illinois’ 48 community colleges offering educational services to more than 360,000 residents. From its main campus in East Peoria and its two additional instructional locations in Peoria and Pekin, the College provides learning opportunities for more than 14,000 credit and non-credit students each year.
ICC offers three degrees designed for transfer: an Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, and an Associate in Engineering Science, as well as a non-transferable Associate in General Studies. ICC awards an Associate in Applied Science degree in 57 career and technical education programs as well as technical certificates in 73 programs, many of which are stackable. Dual credit course opportunities are available to district high schools and the College provides Adult Basic Education and English as a Second Language programming for the greater Peoria region. Additionally, ICC serves the community by offering continuing professional training and non-credit courses developed by its Corporate and Community Education division.
ICC’s current President began in July of 2016 and has structured a College leadership team to emphasize and operational alignment and efficiency, encouraging a collaborative approach to institutional planning with evidence-based, transparent decision making, and innovation funding to move forward ICC’s strategic initiatives. The Institutional Research Office, within ICC’s Institutional Effectiveness Division, plays a critical role in these efforts.
Illinois Central College offers a comprehensive benefit package including:
- paid time off;
- 10 paid holidays;
- medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance;
- tuition waivers for employee, spouse and dependent children;
- on-site childcare center;
- 403(b) retirement plans; and
- State University Retirement System pension plan.