The Executive Director of Institutional Research and Effectiveness provides leadership for the institutional research functions at the College. The successful candidate will promote a culture of evidence and inquiry in which data supports decision-making.
The Executive Director works closely with the President's Office, Academic Affairs, and all other divisions of the College, including the Budget and Finance Office, Human Resources, Admissions, Registrar, Alumni Office, Information Technology, and Faculty Services to support data analysis and establish priorities for institutional research and evaluation.
The Executive Director supervises a small staff and must be hands-on with all data tools, including SAS Enterprise Guide utilizing strong SQL skills and a good understanding of relational databases. The Executive Director is responsible for coordinating the submission of all official data including that required for IPEDS, the SUNY IR Information System, SUNY and NYSED forms, and the Common Data Set. In addition, this position will collaborate with the Executive Director for Assessment to support the assessment of student learning and educational program outcomes, promoting institutional effectiveness across the College.
The office actively maintains the institution's only data warehouse, managing code to extract and store a wide range of data. The office supports Enrollment Management, Budget and Finance, Human Resources, the President's Office, and academic areas with timely analysis to support policy and decision-making.
The Executive Director also oversees survey research, works with the staff to create in-house surveys and administer external surveys (such as NSSE, the SUNY Student Opinion Survey), and communicates results to the college community.
The Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness is part of the Division of Academic Affairs. This position reports to the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Plan, manage, and oversee the process for providing reliable and accurate IR data for internal and external audiences in a timely fashion, directing workflow, and supervising analysts and staff.
- Provide recommendations and guidance for institutional planning, program reviews, accreditation, accountability, and assessment processes.
- Communicate with leadership, the campus community, and external stakeholders through multiple formats including thoughtfully designed, informative, and easily understood reports.
- Coordinate all college survey activity and provide analysis of survey results. Work closely with senior administrators to provide data and analysis required for divisional planning and decision making. Serve on committees as a resource for data and analysis that enable programs and services.
- Oversee reporting to state and federal agencies as well as to external non-governmental agencies or entities. Review data provided to external constituencies to ensure accuracy and relevancy.
- Establish standards and processes for documentation, presentation, data protection, and quality review of Institutional Research work products.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the position.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Five years relevant experience in higher education management/leadership role.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience with collecting and analyzing data in a higher education environment.
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methods and statistics, logical, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to translate data into "stories" that promote understanding and application to college challenges and opportunities.
- Outstanding writing, collaboration, and presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently while attending to multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience and ability to manage a team of analysts with extensive SAS programming and SQL knowledge.
- Familiarity with SAS reporting procedures, basic SQL, and extensive understanding of business intelligence and data store concepts.
- Advanced degree (Master's or Doctorate) in an appropriate academic discipline preferred.
- Previous experience in leading a multi-staff office.
- Previous Banner experience.