Director, Institutional Research & BI
Please complete all sections of the application including your address, email, phone number and the questionnaire. Both a resume and a cover letter are required to apply. You may edit your contact information at any time by updating your profile. More information and to apply can be found at https://www.utsystem.edu/offices/human-resources/careers.
Candidates under final consideration will be required to submit references and college degree information. A criminal background check will be conducted on applicants under final consideration. Reference, education and criminal background verifications will be completed by third-party vendors.
Security sensitive; conviction verification conducted on applicant selected.
The University of Texas System is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation. Reasonable disability accommodation may be requested by contacting the Office of Talent and Innovation.
Purpose of Position
Directs institutional research taking place within System Administration and across both academic and health institutions. Directs the business intelligence functions and provides robust analytical support for the Executive Director and System administrative offices. Implements and manages ongoing initiatives related to the UT System Dashboard, seekUT, and other major projects as assigned. Conducts advanced quantitative analysis of critical higher education issues faced by the University of Texas System, soundly interprets those analyses, and provides clear and straightforward written and/or graphical displays of the findings for a wide variety of audiences. Provides guidance to the academic and health institutions on data governance, predictive analytics, machine learning, and data visualization.
- Oversees the maintenance of the UT System Dashboard and seekUT; provides guidance to the research and business intelligence teams to help promote the alignment of process and priorities, streamlining where possible, and focusing on increasing and improving the group's capacity to conduct analysis and build tools to help UT System leadership make decisions.
- Supports the Executive Director and UT System executives by providing robust analysis of critical issues and takes on special projects as needed.
- Provides oversight to system research and business intelligence staff on the collection, analysis, and reporting of data for ongoing uses and special requests, with a focus on streamlining requests and reducing the reporting burden on the campuses.
- Represents the Executive Director at meetings and on projects as assigned.
- Translates available data and analysis into relevant and timely messages for use in internal and external communications. This includes overseeing production of regular and special reports and overseeing the development of new avenues of communication.
- Designs and develops a research approach that utilizes sound and appropriate methodology, both inferential and descriptive, for the specific research question for UT System Administration and the 13 institutions.
See the official vacancy announcement for more
- Master's degree or equivalent in a social science discipline, educational research, or a closely related field and seven (7) years of experience in institutional research in higher education, public administration, or equivalent position in the private sector OR Bachelor’s degree in a social science discipline, educational research, or a closely related field and ten (10) years of experience in institutional research in higher education, public administration, or equivalent position in the private sector.
- Five (5) years of experience conducting analytical and policy studies that support decision making and planning.
- Experience analyzing data from national and state database higher education systems.
- PhD or equivalent in a social science discipline, educational research, or a closely related field.
- Ten (10) years of experience in institutional research in higher education or equivalent position in the private sector.
- Eight (8) years of experience conducting analytical and policy studies that support decision making and planning.
- Established record of publications and presentations.
The retirement plan for this position is Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS), subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least 135 days in length. This position has the option to elect the Optional Retirement Program (ORP) instead of TRS, subject to the position being 40 hours per week and at least 135 days in length.
Search for openings in IR, effectiveness, assessment, planning, and related fields at higher education institutions in the U.S. and abroad.