Data Analyst and Reporting Specialist
To review the full job description and apply visit: https://chapman.peopleadmin.com/postings/31053
To be considered for the position, you must submit your resume, a cover letter, three references, and respond to a data management question.
Application review begins Monday, May 15, 2023, and continues until a pool of qualified applicants is identified. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The Data Analyst and Reporting Specialist will work on a variety of reporting and data visualization projects, respond to internal and external data requests and surveys, assist with furthering the data governance foundation on campus, and support the assessment and data-driven initiatives related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
A successful candidate will have a proven track record of data management and utilization. The IRADS Office is looking for a team member who is motivated, has strong analytical, technical, and communication skills, and can work well independently and with a team.
- Support the Assistant Director in responding to internal and external data requests and completing federal, marketing, and ranking surveys for the university.
- Work collaboratively with administrators, data stewards across campus, IS&T, and staff at all levels to coordinate design, develop, and manage reporting in our data warehouse. Assess the need for new reports and dashboards and support the creation and organization of them.
- Develop and maintain data visualizations and dashboards displaying institutional survey results.
- Participate in discussions and activities related to data governance including data security, data validation, report documentation, and data definitions.
- Collect and analyze data that provides information useful to support and enhance diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives and programs.
- Participate in meetings, work groups, committees, and similar activities to advance the mission of the office and contribute to a culture of data-informed decision making.
- Update, organize, and maintain the IRADS website.
- Write concise technical reports, research briefs, and/or infographics.
- Master’s degree in a related field AND a minimum of three (3) years of experience in data management and analysis and/or institutional research; OR Bachelor’s degree in a related field AND a minimum of five (5) years professional experience in data management and analysis and/or institutional research with experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience with higher education data (e.g., student records).
- Knowledge of and experience with PeopleSoft Campus Solution and building queries.
- Strong ability to understand, analyze, and communicate statistical information to various audiences.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other departments and administrative offices across the university as needed.
- Strong organizational skills to meet competing deadlines and priorities.
- Experience working with data management computer applications, relational databases, or large datasets.
- Experience in dashboard design using visualization software tools (Pyramid/Power BI/Tableau, etc.). Power BI preferred.
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously and follow through all phases to completion.
- Ability to apply tact and good judgment in dealing with all levels of university staff, administrators, and faculty, and developing productive working relationships.
- Advanced skills using Microsoft Office Excel (i.e., formulas, pivot tables, graphs and charts).
- Ability to work with highly confidential materials without breaching confidentiality.
- Knowledge of cohort tracking studies and longitudinal research.
- Proficiency in organizing and reporting data with strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to interpret business needs and translate them into actionable requirements for reporting and data pipelines.
- Experience presenting and discussing information in a clear concise manner verbally and in writing to faculty and staff.
- Awareness of how social identities (race, first-generation student status, citizenship, ability, sexuality, gender identity, gender expression, etc.) impact living and learning environment on a college campus.
- Experience working with diverse communities.
The Institutional Research and Decision Support (IRADS) Office reports to the Vice President for Institutional Effectiveness and Faculty Advancement within the Provost Office. The Institutional Research and Decision Support (IRADS) Office is the official source of university statistics. IRADS serves the Chapman community by organizing, analyzing, interpreting, and disseminating institutional information in support of institutional effectiveness, planning, policy formulation, and decision making. The mission of IRADS is to serve the Chapman community by providing accurate, timely, and actionable data that facilitates informed decisions and improves student success.
Search for openings in IR, effectiveness, assessment, planning, and related fields at higher education institutions in the U.S. and abroad.