NCES Data Institute: Using Federal Datasets to Support Research on Postsecondary Education
June 12 - 14, 2017 in Washington, DC
With support from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), the Association for Institutional Research (AIR) operates the NCES Data Institute: Using Federal Datasets to Support Research on Postsecondary Education. The Institute is an intensive introduction to NCES datasets and research methodologies using large-scale national data sources.
Attendee selection is based on a brief application. All applications must be submitted online.
- February 1, 2017 - NCES Data Institute (NDI) guidelines available and Call for Applications opens
- March 15, 2017 - Application deadline (11:59 pm EDT)
- April 7, 2017 - Decisions announced to applicants via email
- June 12-14, 2017 - NCES Data Institute conducted in Washington, DC
- Stimulate interest in using IPEDS, Sample Surveys, and other federal data to address current and future research questions in institutional research, the social sciences, and education
- Instruct participants in the methods of using IPEDS, Sample Surveys, and other federal data to conduct analyses
- Enhance understanding about methodological and technological issues relevant to IPEDS and national sample survey data collections
- Encourage collaborative research studies between participants and agency staff to improve future IPEDS data collection and analysis
The process is open to those who want to:
- Increase their knowledge of IPEDS and other NCES federal datasets
- Understand how federal data are utilized in postsecondary education research
- Formulate their own research questions to improve decision-making and success in higher education
Note: The intended audience includes institutional research professionals, faculty, graduate students, staff from state and federal agencies, and national associations. Participants must be affiliated with a U.S. postsecondary education institution, U.S. state or federal agency, or U.S. affiliated higher education association or non-profit entity.