About the Institute
The NCES Data Institute: Using Federal Datasets to Support Research on Postsecondary Education (Institute) provides an intensive introduction to National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) datasets and research methodologies.
The Institute is ideal for:
- Graduate students
- Early- to mid-career IR professionals
- Staff from state and federal agencies and other higher education organizations.
The Institute is limited to 30 participants who'd like to:
- Increase their knowledge of IPEDS and other NCES datasets
- Apply their new knowledge of IPEDS and other NCES datasets in a group setting
- Understand how federal data are utilized in postsecondary education research
- Form their own higher education research agendas
Read more about the Institute from two past participants.
The 2021 application process is now closed.
We are no longer accepting applications for the 2021 NCES Data Institute.
2021 Institute Components*
- 5-week online course
- 15-week group capstone project
- 3-day meeting
*Each of these components builds on one another to create a holistic learning experience. Participants are required to participate in and complete all elements of the Institute.
January 19 – February 19, 2021
5-week online course
Prior to starting the course, participants are assigned to a research group. Course material includes:
- An intensive introduction to NCES datasets
- An introduction to research methodologies when using national datasets
- Exercises that reinforce the content and allow participants to apply their new knowledge
February 22 – June 4, 2021
15-week capstone project
Immediately following completion of the online course, each research group—with guidance from mentors—works together to complete a research project, which includes:
- Exploring potential research topics
- Conducting a literature review
- Developing a group research question
- Identifying relevant NCES datasets
- Performing analysis using public-use data
- Writing an executive summary
- Preparing a PowerPoint presentation
June 8–10, 2021
This collaborative and interactive meeting builds on the knowledge participants gained during the online course and capstone project. The meeting features:
- An orientation to the U.S. Department of Education, the Institute of Education Sciences (IES), NCES, and the National Postsecondary Education Cooperative (NPEC).
- Panel discussions and speaker presentations on topics such as higher education research, publishing, the role of the higher education community, and policy.
- An opportunity for groups to present their research projects to NCES and all meeting participants.
- Dedicated time for research groups to refine their projects based on feedback from NCES staff and fellow participants.
- Time to develop plans to complete the projects and discuss the potential for dissemination of results after the Institute through conference presentations and/or publications.
The Institute is supported by NCES and is developed and operated by AIR.
Questions? Email NCESDataInstitute@airweb.org or call 850-391-7109.