We are often asked, "How many staff should our IR/IE office have?" In the 2018 AIR National Survey of Institutional Research Offices, we asked Office Leaders to provide the average staff FTE per type of staff role (see below).
- The average Office Leader FTE is 1.0, which means that, for most institutions, this is a full-time position.
- 29% of IR/IE offices have an associate/assistant director; of those offices the average FTE is 1.6.
- 66% of IR/IE offices have analytical staff; of those offices, the average FTE is 2.5.
- 22% of IR/IE offices have technical staff devoted to tasks like programming and database management. Within those offices, the average FTE is 1.8.
- Nearly 1/3 of IR/IE offices have administrative support staff with an average FTE of 1.0.
- And, 27% of IR/IE offices have student staff with an average FTE of 1.3.
For more information about the National Survey of IR Offices, visit our website.