This tutorial provides an overview of the National Center for Education Statistics’ (NCES) net price calculator template, as well as a brief background on the calculator requirement.
The Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 includes a requirement for all postsecondary institutions that participate in Title IV federal student aid programs to post a net price calculator on their websites. The net price calculator is required for all Title IV institutions that enroll first-time, full-time degree- or certificate-seeking undergraduate students. Institutions must have net price calculators on their websites by October 29, 2011.
To meet this requirement, institutions may choose to:
- Use the U.S. Department of Education’s Net Price Calculator template; or
- Develop a customized version that must include, at a minimum, the same elements as the Department's template
Net Price Calculator
- Net Price Calculator Overview Script (PDF)
- Office of Postsecondary Education (OPE)
- 2008 Higher Education Opportunity Act
- National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
- Net Price Calculator Information Center- which includes information regarding the Net Price Calculator Requirement, U.S. Department of Education Net Price Calculator Template, and Institutions’ Net Price Calculator Web Addresses